UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

221 posts in this topic

1 min ago, adams54 said:

Great pics...looks like you had a blast. Dunno how you got all that in a carry on. I bet those locals leaned that the Jersey boys dont mess around.

Everything is included. Check out Los Buzos on that video streaming site. Place was awesome. Caught yellowfin tuna and wahoo there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

Back from Panama.....

30C10E13-AD97-432C-9D11-A8289C8ADC9F.jpeg

30E53491-9094-4074-BDAE-2AD7F578EC4D.jpeg

28D9FB12-5E90-43F5-9956-5A3406883660.jpeg

196F8663-94F9-4CAF-9996-7ADA1F013DAA.jpeg

Nice AJ's brother and what looks like a sweet trip! It had to be fun fighting them on the yak! Any pics of the hoo's and tuna? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

Back from Panama.....

30C10E13-AD97-432C-9D11-A8289C8ADC9F.jpeg

30E53491-9094-4074-BDAE-2AD7F578EC4D.jpeg

28D9FB12-5E90-43F5-9956-5A3406883660.jpeg

196F8663-94F9-4CAF-9996-7ADA1F013DAA.jpeg

Amazing fish and pictures!  Im heading down to los buzos in May.  Did you bring any gear?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 mins ago, Basswiper said:

Nice AJ's brother and what looks like a sweet trip! It had to be fun fighting them on the yak! Any pics of the hoo's and tuna? 

 

20 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

Amazing fish and pictures!  Im heading down to los buzos in May.  Did you bring any gear?

 

It was amateur hour when I had the wahoo boat side begging to be gaffed. I grabbed the leader, he took back off and snapped me off. No pics or videos of that. The tuna I have all on GoPro, I’ll post some video and still shots when I have the time to edit it down.
The yellowfin weren’t huge, mine were maybe 8-10lbs. But on ultra light gear (1/4oz-1oz rod and BG 4K) from a kayak they were fun as hell to catch. Robert Field had the biggest tuna there, believe it was like 23lbs. Also on ultra light gear. 
 

OdieMike, are you going on the next Field Trip? 
I shelled out the extra $250 for their accurate set ups. I didn’t feel like fighting with TLDs and senators while I was there. 
I brought all my own tuna poppers. 20-160 gram jigs, a few scabellys and SP minnows. 
If you plan on bringing your own plugs/jigs then buy a bunch of BassPro XPS jigs. They were the go to while I was there. 
They have a tackle shop with fair prices on site. 
Don’t forget gloves, buffs, and wading pants. That sun doesn’t play around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

 

It was amateur hour when I had the wahoo boat side begging to be gaffed. I grabbed the leader, he took back off and snapped me off. No pics or videos of that. The tuna I have all on GoPro, I’ll post some video and still shots when I have the time to edit it down.
The yellowfin weren’t huge, mine were maybe 8-10lbs. But on ultra light gear (1/4oz-1oz rod and BG 4K) from a kayak they were fun as hell to catch. Robert Field had the biggest tuna there, believe it was like 23lbs. Also on ultra light gear. 
 

OdieMike, are you going on the next Field Trip? 
I shelled out the extra $250 for their accurate set ups. I didn’t feel like fighting with TLDs and senators while I was there. 
I brought all my own tuna poppers. 20-160 gram jigs, a few scabellys and SP minnows. 
If you plan on bringing your own plugs/jigs then buy a bunch of BassPro XPS jigs. They were the go to while I was there. 
They have a tackle shop with fair prices on site. 
Don’t forget gloves, buffs, and wading pants. That sun doesn’t play around. 

Yea man, a buddy and i are going down on the next field trip. I think ill probably do the same and rent gear and bring some lures and terminal.  As far as the sun, im all geared up. Learned a harsh lesson in costa rica a few years back lol.

 

Thanks for the tips!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 11:00 PM, nam1969 said:

. Wife will be operated on on Feb 11 and recovery will be 6 to 8 weeks, so I'll be attending to her. 

Bob

Bob best wishes for your wife & you . Being a caregiver is a tough job. I know.   Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

 

It was amateur hour when I had the wahoo boat side begging to be gaffed. I grabbed the leader, he took back off and snapped me off. No pics or videos of that. The tuna I have all on GoPro, I’ll post some video and still shots when I have the time to edit it down.
The yellowfin weren’t huge, mine were maybe 8-10lbs. But on ultra light gear (1/4oz-1oz rod and BG 4K) from a kayak they were fun as hell to catch. Robert Field had the biggest tuna there, believe it was like 23lbs. Also on ultra light gear. 
 

OdieMike, are you going on the next Field Trip? 
I shelled out the extra $250 for their accurate set ups. I didn’t feel like fighting with TLDs and senators while I was there. 
I brought all my own tuna poppers. 20-160 gram jigs, a few scabellys and SP minnows. 
If you plan on bringing your own plugs/jigs then buy a bunch of BassPro XPS jigs. They were the go to while I was there. 
They have a tackle shop with fair prices on site. 
Don’t forget gloves, buffs, and wading pants. That sun doesn’t play around. 

All good man, we all have our moments - lol! Honestly, wahoo are a tough fish to land without being under power. The kite/livebait guys lose a lot more than the guys high speed trolling. They wear a big hole in their mouth really quick. Sounds like you had a blast!

 

What gear did you use for the AJ's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shbeachbum said:

Bob best wishes for your wife & you . Being a caregiver is a tough job. I know.   Mike

Ill second this. I haven't met many of you on here but I'm always there for a brother/fisherman. Best wishes to you and yours!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 mins ago, Basswiper said:

All good man, we all have our moments - lol! Honestly, wahoo are a tough fish to land without being under power. The kite/livebait guys lose a lot more than the guys high speed trolling. They wear a big hole in their mouth really quick. Sounds like you had a blast!

 

What gear did you use for the AJ's?

The wahoo grabbed my live blue runner, and I let it eat for 20 seconds. I tightened the drag and watched the fish swim past me on top. Finally got tight and it kept going. Lol. 
That giant Almaco took a live moon fish. 
The rest of the smaller jacks took poppers and XPS jigs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.