UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

221 posts in this topic

Gave it a try for about an hour before dark.  South wind was kicking some nice looking water but couldn't find any fish.  Will make one more trip south on Monday morning with a ENE wind being forecast.  If the result is a skunk I think it may be time to put it away till spring.

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Still early for white perch isn't it ??

I plan to target this upcoming week on the kayak, I’ll definitely give a report no matter what happens

Posted (edited) · Report post

Moco out front 5 to 9 am. Nothing—no baitfish, no bites and then packed it in when the seals showed up. I think that’s it for me in the salt until Spring. Did catch a nice sunrise: 

0E916961-4DF9-4364-84DF-EA68FA94C8BF.jpeg

Edited by MontclairDave
Old eyes

Split outings today. 90 minutes at sunrise. OC, end of incoming tide, steady S wind. Water clean and green. Not a bump. Skunk. Several guys out and nobody caught while I was there. 

Early Afternoon, 60 min, SoMoCo, end of outgoing tide. Water still clean and S wind increasing. Skunk.

Late report from Friday night 7pm - 11: 30pm.  Fished a few areas outfront in Moco and got one in the last area.

Can't only take half the credit of this fish though.  After walking a stretch of beach to catch up with a good friend he says "Cast something over there, just had a bump but can't seem to connect"

After three casts, landed the only fish for the night on a swimmer, right around 22".  Pretty funny, but I guess that's what friends are for.  

20200111_120200.jpg.57abb09f9aebcb2a5dd687ef652b902f.jpg

On 1/11/2020 at 10:52 PM, Sam3631 said:

I didn't catch anything either in OC this morning at sunrise.  Found this on the beach, though.

3C555D56-27D0-4870-88E0-7ACD4A03A3D0.jpeg

Could be leftovers from a seal's lunch. There's been a few seal sightings in the Lavallette-Ortley area

Moco 1:30

very foggy, water was juicy and bubbly but surprisingly clean. waves was weaker than expected wasn’t expecting much after reading the gloomy reports in the past days but was managed to hook up with a striper on the 3rd cast. 
that was caught on a swim shad. 

B8DC931A-6383-4857-85F6-E21A31DBAB6B.jpeg

Gave it one last shot this AM before work. MoCo 30 min predawn, incoming tide, steady ENE wind. Great white water and surf. However, no bumps. Skunk. Hanging up the gear for now boys. See you in the spring unless something pops up.

Went yesterday 4 to 5:30 MOCO. Water was perfect.  Did get skunked but got a bump on my 15th or so, cast and thought it must have been my imagination. Then about 10 casts later I got a hit in close that nearly took the rod out of my hands, didn't even feel like a striper strike. It was weird and it got my hopes up for the next trip. I know it's mid January and I don't blame anyone for hanging it up, but for now I'm still in.