UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

221 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

PSA-if you are fishing the current MonCo Beach Replenishment area be careful.  The last storm moved a lot of sand and needless to say I almost sank to my thighs.  It was not pretty getting out.  Glad the VS is sealed since I had to lay the rod down for leverage.  Almost had to leave the waders behind as one foot would not budge.  Finally got out.  Be safe.

Was out this morning and the water was fishable but on the dirty side.  Was down to the south again and only saw one other guy out there.  Gave it a good walk but couldn't find any activity.  Sure hope this last storm didn't push out the fish.  Time will tell.

And they were working today to replenish as well.  Unreal

water was very dirty and mid tide outgoing heavy west wind no water. No fish

7 mins ago, Goldy said:

And they were working today to replenish as well.  Unreal

water was very dirty and mid tide outgoing heavy west wind no water. No fish

Man bummer!

most areas had dirty water today. found a pocket of cleaner water to the south. pulled two out at sunset. my first January bass ever. Water temp is still fishable...

Posted (edited) · Report post

MoCo 6:00 PM to 8:45 PM     It was dark when I arrived so I could not determine the water clarity but i think that it would not be clean yet after the nor'easter we had.  The water was pretty much flat calm with some 1 ft swells.  Did not see any signs of bait in the water and it was dead low when I got there.   I started out at the tip of the jetty with the Storm sand eel.    I didn't feel that I could cast far enough with the Storm Sand eel so I switched to the purple Hydro minnow.   I fished the Purple Hydro minnow but no luck there.   After a while I switched to the purple back Silver SP minnow and hooked up with 22 inch Striper.  I had a pretty bad tangle in my line after unhooking the fish so I had to cut and retie my leader.   It was pretty dead afterwards so I worked my way around the jetty.      I hooked up after about 40 minutes  but it dropped off after a few seconds.    Then nothing for about a half hour and just as I was on my supposedly last cast, I hooked up again.    the fish shook off as it came to the surface.   I stayed for another 15 minutes but then I had to go ...       

01-01-2020.jpg

Edited by UncleJohn

Fished yesterday sunrise and sunset about 2 hrs each trip, nothing for me. Had a fish roll in the wash right in front of me at sunset so I think they are there but water a little too stained.  I think (hope) with the higher than normal temps they will still be there when the water clears. 

6 hours ago, SnoozeFishing said:

Where are they replenishing? Getting sucked into soft sand at night is a new fear for me. 

Happened to me once in 30 yrs of fishing the surf. It was scary! Just walking along then the next step my left leg sunk up to my waiste. I thought for a second, is this the way I'm gonna go? Took a little doing getting free but it was an experience.  It was summer and no beach replenishment near by so I think it was a hole dug by some kid during the day that filled with loose sand, I really don't know to this day why it happened.

Fished yesterday morning from 6:30- 10:00. I found a spot where they hanging around and caught one but had around 10 other bona fide hits. I even saw a bass jump fully out of the water.  I just couldn't hook up. 

Anyway, have a Happy and blessed New Year!

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, For His Honor said:

Fished yesterday morning from 6:30- 10:00. I found a spot where they hanging around and caught one but had around 10 other bona fide hits. I even saw a bass jump fully out of the water.  I just couldn't hook up. 

Anyway, have a Happy and blessed New Year!

I gave it a quick shot this morning around Sunrise Moco. Saw Bass tailing on a sandbar. Couldn't get them to hit. Nothing big but they're still around. Feel like I should give it a shot after Dark. Haven't really finished at night in a while now.

Edited by JimK