HillTop

2020 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

888 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My first fly using a swiss cdc clamp along with cdc, then a small pile of frenchies. THe cdc clamp should make for some nice flies going forward. All tied on size 18 Hanak 450/480BL with 2.4/2.5mm tungsten beads.

IMG_8964.jpeg

IMG_8961.jpeg

Edited by Drew C.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:31 PM, Drew C. said:

My first fly using a swiss cdc clamp along with cdc, then a small pile of frenchies. THe cdc clamp should make for some nice flies going forward. All tied on size 18 Hanak 450/480BL with 2.4/2.5mm tungsten beads.

IMG_8964.jpeg

IMG_8961.jpeg

From what I learned from my fishing bud who tyes exceptionally well , tells me it’s difficult to find CDC that is up to his standings. But when he does they out preform most anything in the market . I do know he has to hand select everything he uses . His work are dry flies only . I showed him your pic “ excellent “ was his response. He never gave me a high grade like that , because mine are not .  

A striper pattern from the past: Bill Catherwood's Tinker Mackerel, a popular pattern originated in the 1950's. On a Mustad C-70-S # 2/0 hook, about 6" long. As per Catherwood's sbs on FAOL (Fly of the week 195) but used some schlappen in the tail for saddle hackles I didn't have. Not sure about the shades of blue and green as the sbs uses drawings instead of pictures.

Does anyone still fish this fly?20201008_151117.jpg.791dbb8f1c63d45c4ac9793975596858.jpg

On 10/15/2020 at 2:52 PM, Marcel_Karssies said:

Managed to get out just in time for a road trip, its gooood :-)

5781E086-4046-496D-A318-7112A54236F8.jpeg

Road Trip? To grayling country?

Tied for me by an Instagram friend to complement the Red, White & Blue themed rod I am building. He is also tying me some in electric chicken and natural mullet colors. 

CAC330FA-BE5D-4D3C-AC74-EE945E950950.jpeg

EB26ABC3-12F6-4233-BCFB-146F809E00AA.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Marcel_Karssies said:

Wenne river, Hochsauerland region, Western Germany.

Ah, that makes sense since there are not too many grayling rivers in the Continental USA. 

I did not note that your location is the eastern side of Netherlands. 35 years ago, my wife attended Nijenrode near Utrecht and lived in Breda during an internship. We have visited a couple of times but not in the last 20 years. 

I have caught grayling in Alaska (large ones) as well as in Hampshire in England where they are quite plentiful. Fun fish and cooperative to the fly. 

Edited by flyangler

New PB today. It didn't start well though. I was riding the struggle bus for most of the day. The recent rain brought the river up nicely. The first spot,I started with the 2wt and small stuff and it was just too much water. Threw streamers for a bit with no luck. Moved to another spot. Same deal - no luck but that was on me, that spot holds fish. Many more tangles that I usually get, a cluster **** at times. Moved to the last spot and I did what's been working for me - work fast water with small stuff, although I thought the water was too much for what I had been doing. Finally got a fish that was 18-19", certainly good fish. With the skunk stench removed I settled in. Right before dark I replaced the point with #10 iso, with a 1.5 bead. Hooked up pretty quick with a nice fish. It was a hell of a fight with the 2wt, 6x and current but the fish finally came to the net. ~21.5 and a very heavy fish. Got another 17-18" shortly after in the dark again on the iso. At one point I thought I was looking at a skunk for the day, got lucky near at the end.

DSCN2156.jpeg

DSCN2158.jpeg

DSCN2159.jpeg

DSCN2164.jpeg

23 hours ago, Suave said:

A striper pattern from the past: Bill Catherwood's Tinker Mackerel, a popular pattern originated in the 1950's. On a Mustad C-70-S # 2/0 hook, about 6" long. As per Catherwood's sbs on FAOL (Fly of the week 195) but used some schlappen in the tail for saddle hackles I didn't have. Not sure about the shades of blue and green as the sbs uses drawings instead of pictures.

Does anyone still fish this fly?20201008_151117.jpg.791dbb8f1c63d45c4ac9793975596858.jpg

I fish similar flies tied based on Jack Gartsides Beastmaster General (I think that was the version). I like spinning deer hair and fishing these in the salt. Kind of a muddler deceiver fly. Often I fish a smaller version in white for schoolies. These I made up to fish in the cape cod canal.

Mackeral Beastmasters.jpg

1 hour ago, JEFFSOD said:

I fish similar flies tied based on Jack Gartsides Beastmaster General (I think that was the version). I like spinning deer hair and fishing these in the salt. Kind of a muddler deceiver fly. Often I fish a smaller version in white for schoolies. These I made up to fish in the cape cod canal.

Mackeral Beastmasters.jpg

I've fished the Beastmaster General for stripers  with quite a bit of success. Good searching pattern.