HillTop

2020 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

650 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, scooleen74 said:

Been hot and ultra low up here so fishing has been pretty rough for me.

You have a quality smallmouth there and nice pike. Is that up on the Delaware River?

Ape the pike is up a little cooler trib off the Hudson. I actually caught my first Carp on the fly in the Mohawk in a spot that is absolutely swarmed over with crawdads , caught it on a crazy dad. I'm going to try the mulberry fly though that looks perfect.

Do you get up here to fish much? I moved up here and cannot believe how good the fishing is around here.

KIMG2750.JPG

I did before I had kids. All the time, I would say that some parts of the Mohawk and it’s tributaries have the best smallmouth fishing for both numbers and size I could imagine existing, especially top water action.

I often had entire streams to myself. 

Happy August 1 4:45 am -8:30 am woke up to fog with temps at 57 degrees. Once on the water rising fish and tied on a DS Emerger from Trout Town Flies water temp 63 degrees produced 9 Brown Trout up to 14” One of my better #s , all alone great morning 

18 hours ago, scooleen74 said:

Ape the pike is up a little cooler trib off the Hudson. I actually caught my first Carp on the fly in the Mohawk in a spot that is absolutely swarmed over with crawdads , caught it on a crazy dad. I'm going to try the mulberry fly though that looks perfect.

Do you get up here to fish much? I moved up here and cannot believe how good the fishing is around here.

KIMG2750.JPG

Congrats !! I’m still wanting but nada 

I had fun evening/night on the farmington. Second cast, I hooked a fiesty ~22" otter (or otter like creature). They're fun on a 3wt euro rod... After a brief struggle I was able to cut the line. I thought about grabbing the critter but thankfully decided otherwise (there was a moment where he came back at me and almost climbed on me). The hook was barbless, so I doubt there was any harm done.

I ended up going 3-7 throwing iso wets/nymphs with 2 being about 18". I also dropped a much nicer fish that pretty much made me it's bitch. I hooked him in fast water right dark and he had his way with me for a few minutes.

The highlight of the night was going 2/5 on the mouse. Nothing big, 15-16". One of the hits was quite impressive, solid blow up but I missed that one.