HillTop

2020 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

1,050 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, titleguy said:

Quick jaunt this morning.  I had a good negative tide an hour after sunrise.  Smaller fish today, but lots of fun and 15 surf clams to boot.

20200722_055414.mp4

Lucky you to be able to do that on a daily basis (work and family life permitting). Reaching the salt for me is an 8 to 10 hour drive. So I'll be there for two (three if I can convince my better half!) weeks in September.

3 hours ago, Suave said:

Lucky you to be able to do that on a daily basis (work and family life permitting). Reaching the salt for me is an 8 to 10 hour drive. So I'll be there for two (three if I can convince my better half!) weeks in September.

I am very fortunate.  This spot this morning is 20 minutes from my house.  Up at 4:30, coffee, in the water by 5:10.  Back at the truck at 7:05 and at my desk at 8:30.

51 mins ago, titleguy said:

I am very fortunate.  This spot this morning is 20 minutes from my house.  Up at 4:30, coffee, in the water by 5:10.  Back at the truck at 7:05 and at my desk at 8:30.

That’s exactly the way I like to do it . In early out early 2 hours is about enough for me .

On 7/20/2020 at 10:22 AM, bigredgolf said:

Got out on the South Platte this weekend with the wifey and dogs, beautiful day

Kaela Middle Fork July 2020.jpg

That looks so cool, in all ways....

7/23 7am cloudy humid morning Got out locally to the park pond with the 8w Disappointing morning 6 LM and one turtle .... 

I was targeting Carp ! Ants , Griffiths Gnat  Hopper and a few sub surface . no berry trees most were tailing the shoreline   Not a sniff from them , man are they difficult or I suck !  . My 4 th time out am ,pm , cloudy day most difficult fish yet . Going to keep trying because there are some 30” + there but when I do !!  Hey , I’m learning the hunt is fun . 

Another trip to the Farmington. I tried a Saturday this time, actually a very pleasant evening. Practically no float tubers or kayaks. The few that were there were very polite and courteous. Two browns, both likely wild. Better one was 16-17". The highlight for me was a crushing hit on a mouse. I missed the first unfortunately. I really wasn't prepared to fish well into the dark so I didn't stay all that long. But, it was pretty fun. I'm already planning on hitting the river after work on Friday. I need to get some more surface stuff tied up though.

45 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Another trip to the Farmington. I tried a Saturday this time, actually a very pleasant evening. Practically no float tubers or kayaks. The few that were there were very polite and courteous. Two browns, both likely wild. Better one was 16-17". The highlight for me was a crushing hit on a mouse. I missed the first unfortunately. I really wasn't prepared to fish well into the dark so I didn't stay all that long. But, it was pretty fun. I'm already planning on hitting the river after work on Friday. I need to get some more surface stuff tied up though.

I fished the AM shift today and had similiar results with one 6" bow and two browns at 14 and 17"s.  Fished till 10 when the sun was high and the first yaks came down river.  The bow had stunning colors and made me think it was a native fish, but i am pretty sure there are no native bows in the river or CT for that matter.  I have heard of other similiar fish caught over the past week.  I wonder if DEEP, MDC or some other organization stocked some smaller bows recently.

Mousing is a blast, but watch out for bears.  Had one come up behind me on the bank last year.  Was fishing a deeper pool and had nowhere to go that didnt involve a swim..  Luckily the bear lost interest and went on its way.  

8 hours ago, MikeK said:

I fished the AM shift today and had similiar results with one 6" bow and two browns at 14 and 17"s.  Fished till 10 when the sun was high and the first yaks came down river.  The bow had stunning colors and made me think it was a native fish, but i am pretty sure there are no native bows in the river or CT for that matter.  I have heard of other similiar fish caught over the past week.  I wonder if DEEP, MDC or some other organization stocked some smaller bows recently.

Mousing is a blast, but watch out for bears.  Had one come up behind me on the bank last year.  Was fishing a deeper pool and had nowhere to go that didnt involve a swim..  Luckily the bear lost interest and went on its way.  

I'm well aware of them. I've seen one so far. 

I've always been an ocean guy, never spent a lot of time in the woods. The thought of being out at night is a little unsettling (vs the surf) and that's been part of why I haven't done it yet. I only fished a mouse for a bit last night and luckily had the hit on my second or third cast. It was enough to make me want to get back out.