2020 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

HillTop

Courtesy of HL. I have no idea when I'm going to get it built. My rod shop is in an unfinished attic and its above 100 in there until the later evening hours and even then it is still uncomfortably warm. Once it's done it will see time on the farmington.

IMG_8486.jpeg

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

E6FB8068-5C1C-4EA9-98E0-DBB9780223AB.png.0d80e03c5439ba81f3322fa77daa0723.pngAlso had the river to myself this Friday. Wasn’t expecting much when I saw how low the water was, but ran into this 24”+ rainbow and one smaller fish on a pheasant tail zebra midge combo. Definitely need to work on the photography skills but was in a rush to get the big girl back into the water.

B1F39A3F-F6F5-4C17-9C7D-F6D170CFE493.jpeg

58320B74-D415-4627-BD6B-811C392B5FC3.jpeg

Edited by MEF
added pic

Another farmy trip yesterday. One nice rainbow, a nice likely wild brown ~17"(no pics, too damn hot to take 'em out of the water). Dropped a few too. This might be my last weekend trip for a while. The float tubers are beyond ridiculous. I know, 1,000% my fault for going on a 100 degree day in July but still... I've not seen that many inconsiderate people, consistently, in a long time. Final straw were two tubes tethered by a rope that almost took me out. Not even an "I'm sorry" from them. I think it will be Tuesday trips or maybe a night trip going forward.

The fishing is also getting tougher. Partly because i haven't adapted to the latest changes (I have very little time to tie lately). Euro nymphing was good into May, then more hatch activity. I don't even know what to call what I am doing now. I'm still fishing the euro rod (have settled in on my Sage vs the Contact for now). But I'm now throwing small, barely weighted to unweighted emerger type flies in faster water. It's produced very well for me, as long as what I'm throwing matches the hatch somewhat. Sometimes it's a 16-18 with a 2.0mm bead and an unweighted dropper. Sometimes two unweighted droppers. So far it's working reasonably to very well.

It's been a very fun season. Definitely having more fun than I would in the salt (which I haven't seen even once this season). If Someone would've told me it would be almost August and I still haven't fished the surf - my guess would have been because I was dead. I haven't missed it one bit. Kind of sad in some ways, good in others.

Edited by Drew C.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I did a dawn patrol yesterday- deader than her love for me.  Tons of weed and pogies ( great for the bass, bad for the flats fishing).  I woke up this morning and then said "nope".  I will go tomorrow early for the negative tide, get some clams, hopefully, and find some fish.

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

On 7/17/2020 at 1:14 PM, PhillyPhisher said:

I had a very popular piece of water all to myself yesterday morning. I couldn’t believe it. And the fish were hungry. Largest rainbow went 22”. All on #18 pheasant tails. 

CFABF1E1-F5CC-478C-9FAA-52DD43A30847.jpeg

stunning picture. awesome.