HillTop

2020 All Things Fly Fishing

Rate this topic

469 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Happy New Years All !!

Seeing Dick liked to generate a new thread every New Year's  for "All Things Fly Fishing" thought we'd start this new decade with a dedication to BonefishDick.   The Betsy.  I'm  sure everyone misses him, his sage advice, and his posts.

HT

bonefish.jpg.a13cf73732ed4eba6ad0ce1bedb5356c.jpg

Edited by HillTop

For someone I met only briefly a few times wading around Chatham, really felt like I knew a lot about BFD from his frequent posts.  Going to miss seeing them, and my first thought this morning when I logged on to SOL was who would start the 2020 All Things Fly Fishing thread?  So glad to see it - it'll be another nice way to keep BFD's legacy here alive with us!

Cheers all, may 2020 be a great year!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice initiative HT.And as I was the last one posting a comment on the 2019 thread in response to KidKdivah's wonderful picture showing flies, rods and those classic Hardy reels, I thought of sort of copying that pic (I hope Kid won't mind and anyway  the end result is not as good) to show four Hardy reels, one on a Hollokona Hardy bamboo rod (lovely rod for those brookies) and the others on rods built for me on Hardy blanks, as well as a box of striper flies showing a row of Betsies (I would have loved originals as the one shown by HT but these are my attempts...). Betsies have been good to me north of the border.

20200101_133338.jpg.a4594483772ab809ae96598071d91d45.jpgAnd good wishes to you all for 2020 including lots of tight lines 

Edited by Suave
Typo

Haven’t fished in the new year yet due to lots of various obligations.

I did spend some time on the beaches though throughout the holidays tossing balls and sticks to random people’s dogs, watching the sun set and adding to my beach glass collection.

Back to fishing on Saturday....

SF

A6D9CDBD-187F-4226-9609-3C98D28DBF1B.jpeg

FF900EF6-40D7-4376-BD6B-8868FCEEDC32.jpeg

B0EF2A3B-7AD2-4C04-9911-3502BE4EA0F4.jpeg

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 2:18 PM, Suave said:

Nice initiative HT.And as I was the last one posting a comment on the 2019 thread in response to KidKdivah's wonderful picture showing flies, rods and those classic Hardy reels, I thought of sort of copying that pic (I hope Kid won't mind and anyway  the end result is not as good) to show four Hardy reels, one on a Hollokona Hardy bamboo rod (lovely rod for those brookies) and the others on rods built for me on Hardy blanks, as well as a box of striper flies showing a row of Betsies (I would have loved originals as the one shown by HT but these are my attempts...). Betsies have been good to me north of the border.

20200101_133338.jpg.a4594483772ab809ae96598071d91d45.jpgAnd good wishes to you all for 2020 including lots of tight lines 

Great shot!

38 mins ago, Stonefish said:

Haven’t fished in the new year yet due to lots of various obligations.

I did spend some time on the beaches though throughout the holidays tossing balls and sticks to random people’s dogs, watching the sun set and adding to my beach glass collection.

Back to fishing on Saturday....

SF

A6D9CDBD-187F-4226-9609-3C98D28DBF1B.jpeg

FF900EF6-40D7-4376-BD6B-8868FCEEDC32.jpeg

B0EF2A3B-7AD2-4C04-9911-3502BE4EA0F4.jpeg

Good stuff SF.  I've been sick for a week and did not get out.  I am headed to the Cape next week to duck hunt, but I am bringing a rod too to see if I can get a salter.

1 hour ago, titleguy said:

Good stuff SF.  I've been sick for a week and did not get out.  I am headed to the Cape next week to duck hunt, but I am bringing a rod too to see if I can get a salter.

Thanks on reminding me of a good winter trip I can do right now. I tore a chest muscle, so no way I can handle 7 and up, but a 4 wt.......    Very much on board with the BFD memorial. Great start to the year. I never met him, but he was  the epitome of explaining his joy and  big fish not  being the be all and end all .

And we're on the board for '20!  Kids back in school today, wife had appointments and I'm off until next Monday.  Only logical response was to hit the Swift ;-)

IMG_6741.jpeg

Some nice bows 

Ever think that by the time you get to heaven , BFD May have caught all the fish? 

10 mins ago, ccb said:

Some nice bows 

Ever think that by the time you get to heaven , BFD May have caught all the fish? 

He was a release guy. Looking out for the rest of us. 

On 1/1/2020 at 2:18 PM, Suave said:

Nice . Love seeing others using Hardy's . It's painful seeing guys buy them and stick them under glass. I may have a bunch of them but they'll see use. 

Not so much to look at but on the B pool on a certain river it's deadly . Maybe how it's fished or the fly it's self I dunno. Had  an old friend asked me else where for a pic couldn't find one so had to make do . It's called the Don't yank. 

P1030165.JPG

P1030166.JPG