John2211

Lure question here

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Good day forum, 

I have recently purchased a Cotton Cordell Redfin lure 7in. Want to use it for stripers and big largemouth bass (Using it before sunrise and before nightfall)

I now want to load this lure. I have have watched a youtube video on how to load it up  by TackleDirect (Which I will be using on mine.)

My question is since my lure will be loaded with oil and sealed. Does this present a problem at an Airport travelling. With the liquids restrictions in containers and bottles.

Is an oil loaded lure (That's sealed) in the same boat as a risk or threat??

Just curious,

Thanks

29 mins ago, John2211 said:

Good day forum, 

I have recently purchased a Cotton Cordell Redfin lure 7in. Want to use it for stripers and big largemouth bass (Using it before sunrise and before nightfall)

I now want to load this lure. I have have watched a youtube video on how to load it up  by TackleDirect (Which I will be using on mine.)

My question is since my lure will be loaded with oil and sealed. Does this present a problem at an Airport travelling. With the liquids restrictions in containers and bottles.

Just curious,

Thanks

I would say don’t risk it. Some days they might say ok some days you might get a giant migraine

40 mins ago, John2211 said:

Good day forum, 

Just curious,

Thanks

i would load that with lead shot,you creating ratle to.

if you like to go further,i would instal; stainles chember with screw cap ,this way you have ratel,floating,suspending and sinking lure,just take cap off and ad or take off load.

Were you intending to carry these on-board?

Simply check a bag with all lures in it (including any oil filled ones with their hooks included).  IMO, this is safest because it avoids the issue entirely.  The airlines do not allow flammable liquids in containers even in checked bags but if the oil you are using is not flammable (e.g. vegetable oil, etc.) it would likely be fine.  After all, we commonly check bags with sunscreen, lotions, bug juice etc...in larger sizes that can't be carried on.  Still I'd go to your Airline's website/TSA and research this more completely to look at the actual language.  An oil loaded lure or three isn't going to trigger alarm, although the TSA screener can look inside your checked bag at any time.

Edited by Killiefish

Looks like I'll be loading bb's to stay on the safe side. I just like the ease of use with the oil. Would hate to be stuck or miss a flight due to interpretation of risk.

Thanks for responses,

Fish on!!

Edited by John2211

On 12/31/2019 at 7:03 PM, John2211 said:

Looks like I'll be loading bb's to stay on the safe side. I just like the ease of use with the oil. Would hate to be stuck or miss a flight due to interpretation of risk.

Thanks for responses,

Fish on!!

Small size lead shot is commonly used for this.  Smaller than BBs makes it easier to get the exact weight you want.  BTW if you're hand carrying these in the cabin with you the TSA people may flag you because of the hooks.  Putting them in checked baggage was good advice.

Do yourself a favor and SKIP using any oil/mineral oil as your load.  In a short time it will be leaking, sometimes even from the center seam of the plug.  I suggest using water over BB/Lead Shot as well because the action is better and the BBs become lodged/stuck sometimes.   
First, VERY important is to remove split rings and seal all hook hangers and nose hanger with Zap A Gap glue.
Dry over night then load plug and take toothepick covered in Zap A Gap and plug hole.

Cut toothepick flush and apply another drop of glue.  

Lastly, try and store your plugs face up as shown below. 

90368B23-2A0E-4620-993E-18C451139A6E.jpeg

If your flying to a US destination send your stuff in advance via usps, ups fed ex etc.  Less likely to cause any problem or get lost.

Never tried it overseas but i figure it would work there too