Bdemiri23

Wader Selection

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I have probably 5 Simms waders and they all leak within a season or two. All waders leak, high quality and cheap. I think it’s because of sand and salt and the abrasion, especially with stockingfoot waders deteriorates the seams. They aren’t built to last in harsh salt environments. I still like to get a mid priced wader, being light Weight and having internal and external pockets are important to me. Simms, Orvis, Patagonia, etc etc. Spend around $250 and you should get a couple of years out of them depending how much you fish. Many leaks can be repaired too and some companies will repair under warranty, Some of mine eventually got to the point that they leak everywhere so they go in the garbage.

I’ll echo what everyone else has said...regardless of brand for me, the only constant with waders is that they will eventually leak. When I fished freshwater more, I’d get two years, now that I’m predominantly in the salt, it seems like it’s about one season. I just buy whatever’s on sale, do as many logical repairs as possible, and hope for the best. 

Waders are tough. That being said I've had very good luck with my Simms. More $$$ upfront but they last a lot longer before a 'fatal' leak. I got 10 years out of my first bootfoots before the boots themselves fell apart. The waders weren't that bad. They did have their share of aquaseal tho, but all small leaks.

My current pair of stocking foots will be starting their 8th year this season. They've been good to me. They went back twice to Simms. Once after the first year for a leak, Simms covered it under warranty and also replaced the booties. The waders themselves have not leaked since. They also went back last year for new booties - they were worn. Simms replaced them at n/c other than shipping. Again, the waders still haven't leaked since the first time.

I went thru several pairs of Bean bootfoots. With the old warranty, that was the way to go. Those waders were pretty crappy and generally had small leaks after a use or two. Not worth it with the current warranty situation.

I tried some el cheapos here and there, just not worth it in the long run.

My current pair of Simms have some wear spots. When they go I will get another pair. I'm still expecting several more years out of them tho. IMHO - get Simms and be pretty good for a few years or just keep cycling thru el cheapos without expecting all that much out of them.

I agree with Drew. I have 4 or 5 pairs of wader's, Cabelas zip front, wore one season, worked great no leaks. Pair of LLbean waist high ,wore them during the summer for two seasons, worked great, no leaks. How long they will last, God only knows. Now, I bought a pair of Simms G 3 guide waders back in the late 90's. I take great care of them since day one, I hit them after cleaning with revive x, Still going strong, no leaks. They have been my winter waders for the last 4 years. I also have a pair of Simms neoprene waders I bought in the early 2000's. I wore them for two winters ,worked great. but I gained wait and I don't like tight. G 3's are getting a little tight, That's why I have other waders.  The lower price simms are not made in the U.S.A.. there cheap. The higher price ones are made here. but if you want one pair of waders, spend the $$$ now. You will save in the long run.

1 min ago, hunter123 said:

I agree with Drew. I have 4 or 5 pairs of wader's, Cabelas zip front, wore one season, worked great no leaks. Pair of LLbean waist high ,wore them during the summer for two seasons, worked great, no leaks. How long they will last, God only knows. Now, I bought a pair of Simms G 3 guide waders back in the late 90's. I take great care of them since day one, once a year I hit them after cleaning with revive x, Still going strong, no leaks. They have been my winter waders for the last 4 years. I also have a pair of Simms neoprene waders I bought in the early 2000's. I wore them for two winters ,worked great. but I gained a few pounds and I don't like tight. G 3's are getting a little tight, That's why I have other waders.  The lower price simms are not made in the U.S.A.. there cheap. The higher price ones are made here. but if you want one pair of waders, spend the $$$ now. You will save in the long run.

Edited by hunter123

I'm really liking the compass 360 waders for those looking to spend under $150. Happy with mine so far but with only one season of use up to this point. Internal pocket, external pocket, built in gravel guards. Paired up with Korkers boots.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/31/2019 at 11:06 AM, Drew C. said:

Waders are tough. That being said I've had very good luck with my Simms. More $$$ upfront but they last a lot longer before a 'fatal' leak. I got 10 years out of my first bootfoots before the boots themselves fell apart. The waders weren't that bad. They did have their share of aquaseal tho, but all small leaks.

My current pair of stocking foots will be starting their 8th year this season. They've been good to me. They went back twice to Simms. Once after the first year for a leak, Simms covered it under warranty and also replaced the booties. The waders themselves have not leaked since. They also went back last year for new booties - they were worn. Simms replaced them at n/c other than shipping. Again, the waders still haven't leaked since the first time.

I went thru several pairs of Bean bootfoots. With the old warranty, that was the way to go. Those waders were pretty crappy and generally had small leaks after a use or two. Not worth it with the current warranty situation.

I tried some el cheapos here and there, just not worth it in the long run.

My current pair of Simms have some wear spots. When they go I will get another pair. I'm still expecting several more years out of them tho. IMHO - get Simms and be pretty good for a few years or just keep cycling thru el cheapos without expecting all that much out of them.

Have had, among other brands, at extra cost,  two pairs of Simms chest BOOTFOOT waders, worn in saltwater, both bays and surf conditions. .In both cases, both leaked.First repair, within or just over one year, Simms repaired free. No rips or obvious degeneration of fabric. When they leaked again, after another year or so, and with a Simms' pricey "repair price quote", I put them aside and purchased yet another pair of Simms Bootfoot waders rather than repair. Before a year went by, they were leaking. Simms repaired and returned. (one yr. warranty).  Again, they were leaking after 6 mos. or so. Remember, guys, we don't wear our waders, at least here on Long Island, 12 mos/year!  Simms told me I had "many"
  "pinholes" in the waders that needed repair at a cost of $95. Since I fish on a sand beach and never have walked thru brush filled paths or scurried down on my behind on a jetty, I couldn't understand how I could have gotten these "pinholes" which would cost me $ to repair. Thought then, that Simms' wader fabric was "degenerating" in salt/wave conditions. 

Ditched Simms waders forever, and have gone to wader companies who would at least understand saltwater bootfoot sand fishing conditions and realize, as they do, that fishing in the surf with bootfoot waders guarantees your wader will leak eventually. These wader companies, known to us all,  do try, in my experience, to do justice to my purchase and I'll continue to deal with them. Simms, nope.IMO, big money for waders that will leak just like the rest of them do. Customer service, after one year @ Simms, IMO, nada, despite purchase price of their waders:(

Maybe the key is that surf fishermen need bootfoot waders to keep out the sand, and Simms, being out in Montana makes waders for freshwater fishermen who need only stockingfoot waders/boots without all that sand washing around their feet in the surf and those are the freshwater fishermen who "tout" Simms leakproof waders as AAA  Simms charges extra to put a bootfoot on a wader, just as a FYI. 

If I were a freshwater fisherman, I'd consider, as all the above comments refer to, to purchase Simms stockingfoot/boots but, as a saltwater fisherman in the surf, Simms waders don't do the job for me.

Edited by flysully

I got a cheap pair of Compass 360 waders to use until my Simms that I ordered came in. I ended up returning the Simms and kept the Compass.  I am not easy on my gear and they usually get put away in a wet ball in the back of my jeep until the next time I use them.  They have held up really well.  Usually fish around 2-4 days a week and have not leaked yet.  My LL Bean would have definitely leaked in that time period.

I don't "put my waders away in a wet ball" but rinse them after every saltwater beach trip. Hang them to dry by the bootfoots. Doing this, can't explain why my Simms, two pairs,would give me such dissatisfaction but am wiser now and won't go the Simms' route.

Anyone on here ever try "High N Dry" waders?  Looks like a small shop out of the eastern shore in Virginia.  Been looking at their breathable pair.

Edited by jbaer

I've owned several pairs of Simms, emergers too. Here's my theory on chest waders.

All I buy is stocking foot, and I'm lucky to get a year and a half before i get a leak. Now granted I fished west coast steelhead rivers hard, hiking up and down mountains chasing trout on the east coast, as well as fishing for bass on the coast. 

Anymore I try spend less knowing it will get to the point where I can't seal them up anymore. Granted sand inside your wading boot is the # 1 cause of leaks but I like the ankle support. So if I got to replace them every year or 2. I've come to realize you gotta chalk it up to the game.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

If there is one thing I wouldn't recommend skimping on its waders. You are going to get a hole in them, some will last alittle while longer than others but it's going to happen eventually. Get a brand with a lifetime warranty. Ive warrantied my patagonias pretty much once a season for the last 4 years and each time I had a brand new one come back(I fish more than the average guy, on rocks). Simms g3s and freestones are also good.