Bdemiri23

Wader Selection

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying Happy Holidays everyone. I have purchased many different name brands of waders over the years and they all leaked after some time. Froggs pilot 2 lasted about 18months. Caddis about 12months. I am in the market for a new pair, I have been looking at Orvis Encounter waders and TideWe. Any thoughts or reviews from people using these in saltwater would be helpful. Budget $250 or less. thank you 

John Skinner has been talking up Togg Frogs ...

I bought their hip boots for $35, but winter arrived to early for me to even try them out !!!

For $250.00 ,You can get a pretty good pair of waders. Surf fishing I use chest high boot foot waders. I tried stocking foot and couldn't put up with the sand getting in the boots even with gravel guards.I Like La cross brand. There breathable, I bought them 7 years ago, and there still running strong.

Frogg Toggs, I went thru 3 pairs in the spring alone.. They are complete junk...   I tried both hellbender and the other ones they had.. Just junk.

I've had ok success so far in the fall with caddis northern guide..

But I echo the above statements, unless you are going Simms, just buy for a year and hope you get that

I fish salt/surf 2-3 times per week. Yeah, they all leak sooner or later, usually sooner. Check out Dryft, just got a new pair. Two-man operation out of Bellingham WA selling direct to consumer. I can't vouch for the durability (yet) but I have a buddy who loves his after 2 years.

Also check out USIA waders, made in USA. Apparently the toughest waders out there. I almost pulled the trigger but the cost stopped me. 

Regarding the boot foots. They are a good option for beach wading but I prefer to use stocking-foot waders with neoprene dive booties. No sand gets in and you can feel everything. They grip the slippery rocks quite well. Get the boots without zippers. Zippers always get stuck from sand. 

Another inexpensive option for summer temps is a pair of neoprene kayaking pants. They can't leak because they are already wet inside. Way cheaper than waders and they last for years. 

Edited by Uncle Stu

Death, taxes & leaky waders ;-)

They all leak eventually but I like the LL Bean Emerger boot foot. I actually got thru the full season on my current pair but I did need to break out the Aquaseal a few times.

I agree with togg frogs being junk. If you use them for a month the zippers completely lose function to the point you can't move them. And they leak and rip easy. Compass 360 lasted me longer but they don't have between sizes just standard sizing.. great waders on a budget = compass 360 

I love my orvis encounters bootfoots, durable and some cool features. BUT, I've heard they fit awkwardly on tall folk. I'm 5'10 and they fit perfectly, but if I was a little taller I think I'd lose a lot of mobility. The boot itself is also very comfortable to me, which is a complaint with some bootfoots.

Edited by C.Robin