Fishhead7

Eagles - Seahawks

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

Feel free to use whatever term you'd like for lowering your helmet into a player.  Any other daintier sports you could recommend, other than internet semantics bickering?   :gay:

Not too long ago a tackle like that would not have made anyone blink.

Not too long ago, Brian Dawkins was praised in Philly for hits much worse than that. As a Giants' fan (and a fan of old school football), I always appreciated his style and NEVER complained because we needed more Brian Dawkins' in the league.

Now, Philly is complaining about physical play and looking for flags?

Where do we need to send the box of tampons?

31 mins ago, EricJ said:

Not too long ago a tackle like that would not have made anyone blink.

Not too long ago, Brian Dawkins was praised in Philly for hits much worse than that. As a Giants' fan (and a fan of old school football), I always appreciated his style and NEVER complained because we needed more Brian Dawkins' in the league.

Now, Philly is complaining about physical play and looking for flags?

Where do we need to send the box of tampons?

The truth is no need to send tampons, there are rules in place. It's a different game now, faster and more punishing. Some of those "old school" played and recipients of those hits have committed suicide, have drool buckets, severe faculty problems and the onset of dementia & CTE etc.

All the new rules protecting players health, injuries concussions and CTE were not invented by the NFL or Rodger Goodell. The players, trainers, and coaches themselves insisted on them to be implemented.

As Clowney and Reed (91) approach, there's only one possible outcome of this play.  Wentz is down, for a sack.  Reed, not being a piece of garbage, pulls up like most defenders would.  Some guys would give him a body shot.... it's fair play as long as you don't helmet-to-helmet.   Clowney lowers his dome and skulls the guy.  

I get that the officials missed it.  It didn't look bad at game speed.   

I don't get the "Wentz should've slid".   Nobody slides in their own backfield.  "Throw it away" at least has merit.   

11 hours ago, fishfood said:

As Clowney and Reed (91) approach, there's only one possible outcome of this play.  Wentz is down, for a sack.  Reed, not being a piece of garbage, pulls up like most defenders would.  Some guys would give him a body shot.... it's fair play as long as you don't helmet-to-helmet.   Clowney lowers his dome and skulls the guy.  

I get that the officials missed it.  It didn't look bad at game speed.   

I don't get the "Wentz should've slid".   Nobody slides in their own backfield.  "Throw it away" at least has merit.   

Yep should have thrown it way, he didn't. That ball is tucked in, he is a runner.

Clowney hit Wentz first with his shoulder first, before he was down. Yes he was likely going down but was not down yet. Its key to the play, because no whistle had been blown, no signal had been given the play was over.

He did not pulverize him with his body weight or landing full force on top of him. The helmet contact was incidental. Because Wentz was a runner this play was not terrible unusual for a running back or even a slot receiver known for picking up a little extra yardage.

If you feel strongly otherwise, my guess there would be a very large fine and possible suspension. But there hasn't been one, no chatter. 

Its unfortunate for Wentz

Very sad. He's got a tough injury history.  McCord is a good, competitive athlete, but even the best backup in the world would have a hard time stepping into a playoff game with any first-team repetition, never mind any recent first-team experience.