StriperAddict247

Tsunami SaltX versus Zeebaas

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

In my opinion your not comparing apples to apples. Van Staal VR  VS Tsunami Saltx. Maybe Scooby could give more details of the  internals between the two reels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

zeebass is 3 times the price.  I don’t think it’s 3 times the reel.  I used the  Saltx this year and it worked flawlessly for me.   For a reel that you can reel under water at this price point I think it’s a great value.  Although I could easily purchase a Zeebass I just don’t see the point.  After the first scratch I would be crying myself to sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it too early to make a decision on the salt x?

For me the test of time is important.  

When I'm ready for a new reel I will see how the salt x did after more hours logged in and its pulled apart and checked for wear on the parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I seriously doubt the Salt X will have the kind of durability and reliability that the  Zee Baas does. Zee Baas is a top tier product made with premium materials. It is designed and built to last a lifetime. The Salt X is much less expensive and built with cheaper components. It’s aimed at those who want some of the virtues of a reel like the Zee Baas but don’t want to pay for one. If you  buy a  Salt X and use it as you would a Zee Baas or a Van Staal, I’ll wager that you’ll be  needing to replace it in fairly short order; maybe a season or two. Top tier reels just keep going and going...virtually forever.

On the other hand, like many others with limited funds, I am always hoping to discover less expensive products which give premium performance. Could the Salt X be one of those unbelievable fishing tackle buys? Possibly, but I won’t be placing any bets that it is. 

Edited by valentine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, valentine said:

I seriously doubt the Salt X will have the kind of durability and reliability that the  Zee Baas does. Zee Baas is a top tier product made with premium materials. It is designed and built to last a lifetime. The Salt X is much less expensive and built with cheaper components. It’s aimed at those who want some of the virtues of a reel like the Zee Baas but don’t want to pay for one. If you  buy a  Salt X and use it as you would a Zee Baas or a Van Staal, I’ll wager that you’ll be  needing to replace it in fairly short order; maybe a season or two. Top tier reels just keep going and going...virtually forever.

On the other hand, like many others with limited funds, I am always hoping to discover less expensive products which give premium performance. Could the Salt X be one of those unbelievable fishing tackle buys? Possibly, but I won’t be placing any bets that it is. 

Well said everybody jumps on the newest and greatest band wagon to soon give the Saltx 2 full years on the market to prove its self. There are only 4 reels I can think of that have outlasted anything on the market. 1) Daiwa BG I believe 35 years. 2) Penn senators 3) Penn internationals 4) Shimano Taigras. I know there are several more out there. If you fish and travel around seems like 75% of boats have one or a combination of these reels. Would be interested in what others have to say about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I've had my SaltX since July and have abused the hell out of it including wading out in the surf and reeling it under water. Still performs nice and smooth. Again only time will tell but so far it's performing great. I'm impressed especially at it's price point.

Edited by Stuarticus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you compare a Mazda Miata to a Ferrari?  What I mean is those are 2 very different class reels..

 

Compare a salt-x to a VR series. That would be a great comparison although the vr series has many more years of use logged than the salt-x does..

 

ZB is the top end of the spectrum.. its ruggedness and durability are second to none. IMHO VS(x) and ZB cant be compared to the salt-x 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Would you compare a Mazda Miata to a Ferrari?  What I mean is those are 2 very different class reels..

 

Compare a salt-x to a VR series. That would be a great comparison although the vr series has many more years of use logged than the salt-x does..

 

ZB is the top end of the spectrum.. its ruggedness and durability are second to none. IMHO VS(x) and ZB cant be compared to the salt-x 

And that’s why the VR has way more issues then a reel Van Staal. No matter what in life you have to pay for quality. The SaltX could end up being a great reel thinking of getting one my self this spring. I remember all the hoopla about the Tsunami Shield how great it was the first year. Now you can’t give them away. My ZeeBaas and Older Van Staals are bullet proof had mine over 7 years never serviced and no issues but I take care of my tackle also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Regarding sealing, I think the best way to compare is to objectively discuss how they are sealed and what type of seals.  
 

The VS and ZeeBaas use automotive seals.  The other reels don’t.  As an example to one of the sealing areas: The Salt-X is sealed like a Penn Torque in the rotor/pinion area (typically referred to as the main seal in sealed reels).  The Salt-X and Torque use a non-automotive seal that rides on the rotor.  There are pros and cons to each type (automotive versus non-automotive) of seal.  The VS and ZeeBaas use an automotive style up against the reel body and pinion area that provides a longer lasting, more water tight seal in that area. However, VS and Z also require more force to turn the reel handle.  Furthermore, you need special tooling to replace the the VS/VSX and Z main seal.  
 

So, it depends on how you’re subjecting your reel to the water and sand.  
 

Many surfcasters will find the sealing of the Salt-X adequate for their needs in my opinion, especially if they elect to have the seals changed over time.  Also, the Salt-X uses premium gearing that is on par with reels costing twice as much. The Salt-X has forged and machined aluminum body and rotor, feels super strong, is light enough, yet the shaft is still supported well in my opinion. Tsunami appears to have taken their time with this reel; it’s their own design, and should not be compared to any of their previous offerings, in my opinion.  Personally, I am super impressed with my Salt-X for the money.  I also love the VS and Z reels.

 

It primarily depends on how you use the reel (amount of water and sand exposure), how frequently you maintain it, the amount of handle resistance you want to put up with, and your budget. 


We live in a great time to buy saltwater spinning reels.  Many great choices.  

Edited by GSB706z
Grammar/clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Zeebaas zx-25 service cost more than a SaltX. I am sort of considering the SaltX for that reason alone. For my sort of fishing (north shore) the SaltX is plenty sufficient it seems from most reviews on here. I have the Vr150 which I would probably compare more with the Saltx. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, GB fishing nyc said:

My Zeebaas zx-25 service cost more than a SaltX. I am sort of considering the SaltX for that reason alone. For my sort of fishing (north shore) the SaltX is plenty sufficient it seems from most reviews on here. I have the Vr150 which I would probably compare more with the Saltx. 

I agree with you about The ZeeBaas serving cost is crazy. However the Penn Tourque was a total bust after a couple years of issues. Just look anywhere you travel maybe 1 out of 100 are Penn Torque. I’m retired and fish anywere from 200-250 days a year from Florida to CCC. If I spend 300.00on a reel i should get at least 3 season or more with no big issues other then Maintnance. I’m 99% confident in ZeeBaas and Older Van Staals. I still use the Penn Greenie 704-706 like the slower gear ratios for metal lips,SP minnows and Bombers. I hope the SaltX holds up and they improve some of the issues they are having. The price is fair and affordable most avid fisherman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.