Thumb-Burner

can someone recommend an ultra-light spinning rod for panfish?

30 posts in this topic

I have a 5' Ugly Stik that I use for Trout and Pan Fish. I have a 6"6" rod also. I use both from the Kayak. But I use the 5'most of the time. A shorter rod is 

much easier to fish with.  I also have 6' bait casters when I'm throwing heavier bass jigs or trolling. The 6'6" is great for when I'm swimming a worm on top water surface. All my rods are Ugly Stiks. I know they are not the best, but I have had them a long time.

Got my girlfriend a little Tica 5ft UL. Think it was right around the $50 mark. I actually find myself using that more then my St Croix Trout series. 

CHECK OUT THE SHAKESPEARE NAVIGATOR.

6' ROD WITH ULTRA LITE REEL.

PICKED UP A HALF DOZEN OF THESE OUTFITS FOR THE GRAND KIDS.

CAN BE BOUGHT  AT DICKS FOR AROUND $25.00.

THEY ARE A HECK OF A BARGAIN.

GRAND KIDS HAVE CAUGHT TROUT, BASS, BLUE GILLS AND

PICKEREL ON THEM.

LOOK THEM OVER. DON'T OVER LOOK THEM

I have a 7' Quantum Teton Trout UL that I use for panfish, and have been very happy with it. It was a $20 rod when I bought it 4 years ago, but they're probably more now. I paired it with a Diawa Samuri reel. I like the longer rod. 

I also have an older Quantum UL that I've had for about 18 years. It's 5'6", and although I caught a lot of fish with it, and had fun doing so, I still like a longer rod. I got the older outfit, rod & reel, from a catalog with points from some bonus thing we had where I worked. I don't even know the model. The reel was one of those quick shot types with a trigger which I never cared for. 

Fenwick Eagle Spinning Rod. The 7' ultralight work well for me last season. From goofing off with stocked trout to  2-1/2 lb LMB.

Another vote for the fenwick eagle.  They feel like a $100 rod, but are 50-60.......

One piece 6'6" is amazing, but my 7' two piece isn't bad either.....

4lb mono is fine for the fish, but 6lb is much better for weedy spots.

Take a peek at a sahara or sedona 1000 or 2500 for a reel.  I use both....

Far as rods go.  One's recommendation really should be based on what kind of lure / bait your using.

I use those reel-less crappie rods often.  I got a 10,12, 15, and 20ft one.  I usually use flys or small panfish poppers, or just a chunk of worm on a hook.  Dip the lure right where you want it......

My 1000 / 6'6" combo is used more for small trout considering how well I do with the crappie rods.

I used to have a Berkley Cherrywood 7'. A bass rod, but I enjoyed it a lot. I noticed they make some light stuff too. Maybe take a look at those. 

However, they do have mixed reviews. 

Cherrywoods rock. I have had both the 6' 4-10 and the 7' 4-12. Both were impressive enough that I replaced them when stuff happened. Then more stuff happened and I have no idea where they are now. 

Shakespeare micro series rods. I have a 5ft ul and 7ft ul. Shimano sienna spinning reel,  500 on 5ft and 1000 on 7ft . 4lb trilene xl in green.

2 hours ago, Ggold said:

St Croix Triumph. I love it. LOVE it. 5' ultra light. I use it for panfish and trout. Lots of fun 

St Croix makes some awesome rods, but I doubt you'll find them at $50 or under, which was one of the OP's criteria. :stick:

Also, Durango.

Shakespeare Durango, 6'6" spinning rod.

$9.44 at Wally Word.

One of the best $10 ever spend. I was surprised with casting abilities of this rod.

And great back bone.