Said_g15

St. Croix Triumph or Mojo surf rod?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Wow I just watched that and it all makes sense now. I never even thought there would be a specific way to put on a 2 piece. Thanks for that I really appreciate it!

8 mins ago, Chunkah said:

I've seen two or three just shatter. A couple surfcasting, and a 7' on a boat. I've had a 10' Triumph for years, and although I rarely use it now, it served me very well. A nice budget friendly rod.

Wow that’s interesting! Yea the triumph is extremely budget friendly

5 mins ago, Romer Treece said:

It will work just fine with diamond jigs in that range, with 2oz being the sweet spot IMO. As long as you like your rod more moderate...it fits the bill. I usually sling metals and epoxy's in that range with an Avid 10' (as well as BT's) which has a MUCH faster action, but before I got the Avid, the Mojo worked very well for me with those lures.

Yea I usually throw epoxy’s, diamond jugs and bucktails, but for the spring I’m going to use more poppers and sp minnows. So I definitely want a rod that can do both. How are sp and poppers on the 10’6”?

52 mins ago, Said_g15 said:

Yea I usually throw epoxy’s, diamond jugs and bucktails, but for the spring I’m going to use more poppers and sp minnows. So I definitely want a rod that can do both. How are sp and poppers on the 10’6”?

I think it really shines with poppers, sp minnows, and bombers in the weight range...mainly due to it's being moderate which helps me working a plug. BT's are better served with a faster tip, so it's a bit lacking there. The rest...all good. 

Triumph = China

Mojo = Mexico

Both are made with SCII graphite. Mojo have 70/30 splits and better guides (in my opinion).  Mojo’s have had issues with reel seats and I hear people break them. Most people seem to love them. 

13 mins ago, ged said:

Triumph = China

Triumph is made in Mexico.

To answer the OP’s question, my recommendation would be the Mojo. I owned a couple of Triumphs in the past, and either sold or gave them away. The only model I kept is the 8 footer. It throws the lighter stuff very well and has a soft, sensitive tip.

Even though the 2 rods use the same SCII graphite, The mojo seems to have a thinner, and more sensitive blank wall, offering a more satisfying fishing experience. Even though there are reports of the Mojos snapping, or reel seat problems, I never had any of those problems. I own 3 of them.

13 mins ago, Tagman said:

Triumph is made in Mexico.

To answer the OP’s question, my recommendation would be the Mojo. I owned a couple of Triumphs in the past, and either sold or gave them away. The only model I kept is the 8 footer. It throws the lighter stuff very well and has a soft, sensitive tip.

Even though the 2 rods use the same SCII graphite, The mojo seems to have a thinner, and more sensitive blank wall, offering a more satisfying fishing experience. Even though there are reports of the Mojos snapping, or reel seat problems, I never had any of those problems. I own 3 of them.

You are correct. Both are made in Mexico 

Triumph is an excellent bait rod, doesn't throw under 2oz well and 3 is the hot spot. I was flipping 5-8lb doggies up onto the pier the past two nights with mine. I'd recommend the star paraflex 9ft

Neither. Get a dna. Last mojo I had broke and cut my hand. Well the legend and Avid I had snapped too, it’s what happens when you let the hey-ho didily good folks of the Midwest build surfrods for people up here. 

Posted (edited)

For the price of a mojo, try to find a used legend on here. It’s a different animal. Other than that, the triumph would do fine. I don’t recommend the mojo. My buddy has pulled in 30lb fish with his 9ft triumph

Edited by LockedDrag

Triumph has cheap hardware, guides, real seat and cork grip. Mojo in 10'6 I found a little soft on hookset. Also problems with reel seat spinning overtime and no but cap? They have great customer service though. 

Look into the tsunami airwave elite rods. 9'6 and 10'6. Very underated rods and will throw in your weight range.

If you are fishing Jersey beaches, I would go with the 9' Mojo 3/4 4 oz's. I mentioned that rod because of the size of bass that come into the surf these days ( It can handle larger bass as well ). The 9ft Mojo is a very versatile rod and will not wear you out after casting for long periods of time. 

10' med Triumph.  Good light strong thin rod fished for many years lots of big fish no issues.

Never fished a mojo. Never snapped a rod.

Vid of my son on my old Triumph...