Said_g15

St. Croix Triumph or Mojo surf rod?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I mainly fish jetty's and the open beach. I am looking for a rod that can cast light lures such as SP minnows and poppers but can also pull in Gator blue fish and  big striped bass. I am looking into the Triumph in the 10 foot rated Medium Moderate Fast 3/4-4 oz or the Mojo Surf 10'6'' Medium Moderate which is also rated 3/4-4oz. I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with these rods in the past. Any suggestions on what I should purchase? I will be using it very often and want something that will last. Thanks for the help in advance! 

Posted (edited)

Both are excellent rods.  Both will work for you.  Triumph is a better bang for the buck but the Mojo is a nicer rod.  Eventually someday you'll get a Legend.  Look for a 70/30 split if possible.  That gives you 90% of the action of a 1 piece rod with the convenience of a 2 piece.

Edited by fatbikerjoe

I have the 10'6" Mojo for almost 5 years now and love it. I use it mainly for plugs and poppers as well. No problems at all in 5 years and love the moderate action when working surface lures. 

6 mins ago, Romer Treece said:

I have the 10'6" Mojo for almost 5 years now and love it. I use it mainly for plugs and poppers as well. No problems at all in 5 years and love the moderate action when working surface lures. 

Same here but the 10 footer. It's my back up now, but still works awesome.

31 mins ago, Romer Treece said:

Yea I’m looking for something that will last and also cast very far. How is it with diamond jigs 1-3 oz?

39 mins ago, Chunkah said:

Triumph. I've seen too many Mojo's blow up to feel good about them.

What has happened to the ones you’ve seen? I bought the fierce 3 combo and the rod snapped after 10-15 schoolies. Then I purchased the 10” tsunami airwave (not the elite) and half of the rod went flying off after maybe 50 cast. So I definitely want something that will not break and will stay on after I firmly put it on. 

50 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Both are excellent rods.  Both will work for you.  Triumph is a better bang for the buck but the Mojo is a nicer rod.  Eventually someday you'll get a Legend.  Look for a 70/30 split if possible.  That gives you 90% of the action of a 1 piece rod with the convenience of a 2 piece.

A friend of mine has the legend and it is absolutely amazing!!!! It’s just very expensive but the mojo and Triumph are just in my range. And you are right 70/30 splits are the way to go. 

10 mins ago, Said_g15 said:

What has happened to the ones you’ve seen? I bought the fierce 3 combo and the rod snapped after 10-15 schoolies. Then I purchased the 10” tsunami airwave (not the elite) and half of the rod went flying off after maybe 50 cast. So I definitely want something that will not break and will stay on after I firmly put it on. 

Rod builder Lou Caruso did a vid with ******* showing how to properly attach a two piece rod to prevent the tip from coming off.  Basically you put them together with about 15-20 degrees off center and twist to center.  That should keep things together. Most people put them on by sliding them on straight which is incorrect.  The ferrule is a friction fit.  I've never looked into it but it's probably a morse taper.

10 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

Rod builder Lou Caruso did a vid with ******* showing how to properly attach a two piece rod to prevent the tip from coming off.  Basically you put them together with about 15-20 degrees off center and twist to center.  That should keep things together. Most people put them on by sliding them on straight which is incorrect.  The ferrule is a friction fit.  I've never looked into it but it's probably a morse taper.

Wow I never knew that. Thanks for the help, I’ve also had a Lamiglas insane surf rod do the same thing! After maybe 100 fast the top piece went flying into the water And snapped my line. if it wasn’t incoming tide I would have lost the top piece. I had to sprint into the ocean to get it then ran back out. Worst experience ever!!

Posted (edited)

The vid is on youtube with the online mag we all subscribe to.  Not sure why this stupid thing bleeped it out.

Edited by fatbikerjoe

32 mins ago, Said_g15 said:

I've seen two or three just shatter. A couple surfcasting, and a 7' on a boat. I've had a 10' Triumph for years, and although I rarely use it now, it served me very well. A nice budget friendly rod.

40 mins ago, Said_g15 said:

Yea I’m looking for something that will last and also cast very far. How is it with diamond jigs 1-3 oz?

It will work just fine with diamond jigs in that range, with 2oz being the sweet spot IMO. As long as you like your rod more moderate...it fits the bill. I usually sling metals and epoxy's in that range with an Avid 10' (as well as BT's) which has a MUCH faster action, but before I got the Avid, the Mojo worked very well for me with those lures.