Shore Surf/bay fluke rod

Rate this topic

ChewyBrigantine

25 mins ago, buddha162 said:

If you're looking for a 1/4 - 1.5oz rod...the "budget" JDM suzuki rods (yes I will beat this dead horse) like the Dialuna...are nicer than anything you can get state side. 

Perhaps. But i can go and wiggle a Black Hole Suzuki, or one of AFMike' Century Weapons.  I'm not going to drive to Massachusetts and visit Tomo Tackle.

Looking at the Zenaq rods mentioned, they seem to have a proprietary guide system.  Eighteen microguides on an 8' rod? Yikes.

Edited by BrianBM

8' Weapon Jr throws 1/4 - 1.75oz. It throws like a 10' rod distance wise. Extremely lite in wt,  with textreme finish.  If you want something longer the 9'6" Weapon 1/4 to 2oz is a great option.  Super sensitive,  very lite, fun on small fish with lots of mid and butt section power to handle big fish. 

I'm always available to meet up with anyone to test cast rods.

Edited by AFMike

On 12/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, ksong said:

10' Black Hole Suzuki rod is a long caster. But I found some don't like to use such a long rod for fluke or albies.  The 9'6, 9' and 8'6" rods are much lighter and convenient. 

do you have these in stock at englewood cliffs? if so i might have to make a trip.

One thing I've found a bit bizarre through this whole thread; all the surf fluke I've ever caught, and seen caught, have been a very short distance from the lip of the beach.  Ditto in the bays.  Why all this need for long distance casting?  

1 min ago, Spigola said:

One thing I've found a bit bizarre through this whole thread; all the surf fluke I've ever caught, and seen caught, have been a very short distance from the lip of the beach.  Ditto in the bays.  Why all this need for long distance casting?  

Certain spot I fish calls for a little distance on the cast for fluke and always produces 

40 mins ago, Spigola said:

Why all this need for long distance casting?

I don’t target them that often from land, but while land based fishing I prefer to have equipment that won’t limit my options. I can fish the lip with a 10’ rod as easy as a 7’ rod, but I still have range if needed.

”Better to have and not need then to need and not have” kinda thing....

And overall I do not get the shorter equipment mind set for “back bay” or “light out front” applications for any fish, not just flatties. Why???  

Edited by Inshore

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

On 12/31/2019 at 10:47 AM, Inshore said:

If the need is for a USA made product, then St Croix Avid line and up is the way to go! Salmon, Inshore or Surf....

Now, since the “Suzuki” rods have been brought into the fold, if one wants a Japanese sea bass rod that’s actually made in Japan and your funds are not too limited, then take a look at the Zenaq Plaisir Answer PA 90 Jaw Breaker! That one and their Muthos Accura 100H will be my next two rods for “land based” fishing.....

On 12/31/2019 at 2:32 PM, Inshore said:

Nice things ARE nice! And you only get one ride on this ride!!!

And $500 for a “nice” fly rod for trout is JUST getting one in the game...

Com on now, the PA 90 is only $700..... LOL!!! :p

Funny, lol.

We had a same conversation, few months ago, in the search for Albies rod.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

6 hours ago, Spigola said:

And most of them have been small fish, I'd bet; well short of legal size. It's the littlest fish that are in the skinniest water.

5 hours ago, Inshore said:

I don’t target them that often from land, but while land based fishing I prefer to have equipment that won’t limit my options. I can fish the lip with a 10’ rod as easy as a 7’ rod, but I still have range if needed.

And overall I do not get the shorter equipment mind set for “back bay” or “light out front” applications for any fish, not just flatties. Why???  

^^^ What he said. 

Even in areas that are overall shallow, there are going to be small bars and breaches that open in them. Why not be able to reach as many as possible?

Shore fluke are usually sought very casually, something to do with a rod while waiting for the grill to heat up. It doesn't have to be done that way. The kind of rod we're discussing would be a fine stick for little tunny, too, or the sub-legal bass and blue which will dominate our catching for the next couple of years (though you'd certainly want a better reel for the little tunny.)

I'll offer a further thought; a bit more rod is nice for line control.  I have a very nice 7' spin stick that's suited to fluke-weight bucktails, but if it's a 9' rod, I'll keep a lot more line out of the water, as well as reaching a bit further. Not a bad thing at all.

The largest fluke I've seen taken by a shore angler was ten pounds, a very nice fish, at Robert Moses, perhaps fifteen years ago. It took a live eel just before dawn. The angler was looking for a bass, but wasn't at all offended by hanging a doormat instead. Even on light line, I'd rather have that fish on a longer rod than a shorter one. And if we weren't optimists, we wouldn't be fishing at all, would we?

On 12/28/2019 at 9:03 AM, Inshore said:

Salmon/Steelhead rods work well for this application.

2nd this.  Really suggest getting your hands on a hot shot rod.  I have a NFC HS-821 that is a blast for this fishing.  Much faster action than the lighter surf rods I've tried and more sensitive.  Softer tip to snap light baits down to 1/2oz and slings up to about 1.5oz. and enough back bone for stripers up to around 30" on the open beach. 

8 hours ago, Inshore said:

This right here ^^^....................and i'm sure many can agree with this.............