ChewyBrigantine

Shore Surf/bay fluke rod

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

Looking for rod recommendation for surf fluking, I was using a 7ft g Loomis e6x which has been decent but I want something possibly a little longer (better casting distance). Don't think I ever go above 1.5 oz bucktails. looking to step my game up next summer. Any suggestions? I was looking into green water, or maybe a st. Croix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salmon/Steelhead rods work well for this application.

 

I fish two different St Croix, A discontinued Legend Elite and an Avid, both are 9’ long and rated as Heavy action 1/2oz to 2oz, and are a more moderate action. I rarely throw anything over 1 1/2oz and they perform very well. They also make the Wildriver and Triumph in S/S models.

 

Now for very short money, like $60, I bought my 12yo daughter a Wright & McGill S/S rod, it’s 8’6” rated 1/2oz to 2oz, weighs 8oz and performs nicely as well. She used it this fall on the surf short bass and it worked great!
 

These types of rods paired with C5000 Shimano or 4000/5000 LT Daiwa reel loaded with 20# braid make for awesome light surf setups....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having fished several Greenwaters, I don't think they quite fit what you're looking for.  The 8'2" is an extremely versatile rod but has a flex that's a little deeper, maybe not as snappy and sharp as a St Croix Avid or Legend.  If you wanted to stick with Loomis maybe consider a Pro Blue.  PBR963S for example...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a Star rod Stella light , 7'6" 1 piece. It's the best rod I ever bought for Flounder for using from the beach. I have a few star rods and I like them as good if not better than my St Croix's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I bought a Star rod Stella light , 7'6" 1 piece. It's the best rod I ever bought for Flounder for using from the beach. I have a few star rods and I like them as good if not better than my St Croix's.

I was thinking the same thing. That rod probably has a little more meat than a standard inshore rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, coastalfreak said:

I was thinking the same thing. That rod probably has a little more meat than a standard inshore rod. 

I love the rod, Now I only use it for flounder from the surf, But it will work from the rocks and back bays. The one I have has all Fuji guides and reel seat. I use a Shimano Stradic 5000 on mine with 12 # mono. But a Penn Btl ii 4000 would work great. Rod has great feel and cast very well. I think I bought mine from Tackle direct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mumichog said:

Having fished several Greenwaters, I don't think they quite fit what you're looking for.  The 8'2" is an extremely versatile rod but has a flex that's a little deeper, maybe not as snappy and sharp as a St Croix Avid or Legend.  If you wanted to stick with Loomis maybe consider a Pro Blue.  PBR963S for example...

What would you say is the rating on that pro blue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm personally looking to buy the Black Hole USA SUZUKI Special 801L rod.  I'm hoping this rod will be at the shows so I can get a good feel on it.  It's everything I want on paper.  Should be a good rod for fluking, cocktail blues, schoolies and albies...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a Tsunami Carbon Shield II this summer and used it for surf fluke and late season stripers.  7'6".  Great for both fish.  Caught small fluke and stripers up to 24". $120, 1/8 to 3/4 lures but I throw 2 oz no problem.  Fast action, sensitive.  I like this rod and am set for a while.  I had a Tsunami Shield 4000 reel that I used for fluke that was pretty well matched but I might drop to something smaller next year.  I'm using a slammer 3 4500 for stripers now on it that came off my 9' striper rod.  It's too big for the Tsunami rod but I like it better than the Shield reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

What would you say is the rating on that pro blue?

12-25lb test, MH

 

And I haven't fished them but those Stellar Lite Star rods other folks mention feel great off the rack.

 

Edited by mumichog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, mumichog said:

12-25lb test, MH

 

And I haven't fished them but those Stellar Lite Star rods other folks mention feel great off the rack.

 

I see the line rating. What do you think the blank can throw comfortably? Like 3/4/3? Or something I never used one. What's the sweet spot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loomis rods can throw nearly anything.  I have a lighter Pro Blue that can lob a whole mack and also blast a 1/2oz epoxy jig a country mile.

 

The 8 footers likely have a 3/4 to 2oz sweet spot

Edited by mumichog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

I'm personally looking to buy the Black Hole USA SUZUKI Special 801L rod.  I'm hoping this rod will be at the shows so I can get a good feel on it.  It's everything I want on paper.  Should be a good rod for fluking, cocktail blues, schoolies and albies...

I’m having one built now. On paper it looks good. I know a guy who has one and he loves it. So I went for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.