mumichog

Greenie 704 Gets 'Stuck' After Minor Repair

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Have a very smooth minty Greenie on which I just replaced the Crosswind roller (the small washer/vertical flange that mounts on pin stamped into main gear).  Nothing else removed or changed but once reassembled it's smoother than ever BUT when the spindle is retracted to its deepest point the action very slightly gets 'stuck.  Hardly noticeable if cranking fast but going slow it's very apparent.  

Take off the spool and the reel is fine!  Why/how after replacing an internal part would the bottom of the spool suddenly rub on something?  I'm freaking out a bit as I was about to sell this reel and replaced the part beforehand to be fair but now the thing gets stuck in exactly the same spot - just as the spool bottoms out and the handle passes about 1:30.  

Can anyone please help?  Thanks very much.

I've never fiddled with the piece you replaced, but make sure that the screw that attaches the crosswind arm to the main shaft is nice and snug.  That connection needs to be solid.

Yes, Thank you, I have checked that and connection is rock solid.  

The piece I replaced couldn't be easier to change out - just lift the crosswind arm and switch out old for new.  

No expert by any means but did fish those reels for a very long time without that problem. I'll take a guess assuming the washer is still under the spool and since you only changed the crosswind roller. I'd bet the slot in the crosswind roller was machined slightly too long or the washer under the spool is missing. or compressed

1 hour ago, XBMX said:

Under-spool spacers are often misplaced during spool removal 

I checked schematic of 704 and it appears only the white nylon washer belongs under spool.  It's still there.  Is there something else that belongs there too?

2 hours ago, handi2 said:

How could the crosswind roller go bad???

Got me, it was quite worn on one side and when lifted crosswind arm there was a small crack visible where vertical flange meets the washer part.  As I said, I was about to sell it and didn't want to let it go in that condition since the part was so cheap.  Shipping cost 3x what the part did!  

There is nothing between the spool and the body. Just the bearing retainer. The thick black rubber part is the rotor break.

Edited by handi2

Misunderstanding here I think.  I was referring to what is mounted on the spindle, or "spool shaft," and supports the spool.  Could the "Teflon Rear Drag Washer" have been compressed over time to the point the spool sits too low?

I have had the rubber piece that sits over the bearing swell and cause "rubbing".but that could be felt by just turning the rotating head manually.. I gutted all my 704's anyway since I never fished a bail and the rubber pieces were among the pieces I permanently removed from all my 704's. I know that has nothing to do with the crosswind roller but mentioned it because the rubber swelling did happen to me and it only takes 5 minutes to see if it makes a difference by removing it.

13 hours ago, SC said:

I have had the rubber piece that sits over the bearing swell and cause "rubbing".but that could be felt by just turning the rotating head manually.. I gutted all my 704's anyway since I never fished a bail and the rubber pieces were among the pieces I permanently removed from all my 704's. I know that has nothing to do with the crosswind roller but mentioned it because the rubber swelling did happen to me and it only takes 5 minutes to see if it makes a difference by removing it.

Rubber piece over which bearing?  Thanks.