hunter123

Need a new brand mono

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, valentine said:

You know, I wasn't actually going to suggest it because of the dozens of choices that are out there and you don't see Ande pink very mich anymore. Hovever, that's exactly the stuff which got me started in the fishing game and it was damn good line. I'm pretty sure that it still works well. Ande tournament is good stuff too. 

The pink is stiff--very stiff--although it has great abrasion resistance.  I'm a big fan of Ande Tournament; it's about the only mono I use, although I order it direct from Ande these days because so few of the on-line retailers carry it.

2 hours ago, tristate said:

Surprised no one suggested  Berkeley or Stren. I always liked Berkeley XL with Stren second.

Thanks for reminding me. I used the XL back in October ,20# I put on a Penn 704 Z. It worked pretty good. I'll use it again this coming season on the same real, and see how good it doe's  using it for a couple of outings.. I also have 2 spools of 17# stren, Didn't get a chance to use it , But I will this season.

Edited by hunter123

On 12/23/2019 at 2:36 PM, hunter123 said:

I have been using BBG 12 # 20# and up to 40# test mono. I have noticed lately the 20 # will kink up and coil up , 40# is a mess to use in colder weather. So, I'm looking to switch to a better mono. I like mono better than braid. What would be a good line with good knot holding and less stretch and memory than the BBG. Thank you.

I like Sufix Superior. It does not have as much memory as Big Game which is nice.

It reminds me of BG except it has a bit better handling qualities.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 12/23/2019 at 5:28 PM, hunter123 said:

How is that miomo line,

Momoi makes fantastic mono for sure.. very very low memory but it definitely has some stretch to it.. I dont fish mono at all anymore but when I did it was strictly Momoi 

20lb mono and up momoi is all I use, spooled a small spinner with mono today for the first time in years. Used some form of Berkely, remembered every reason I quit using mono but for what I'm doing it's needed.