Need a new brand mono

Rate this topic

hunter123

I have been using BBG 12 # 20# and up to 40# test mono. I have noticed lately the 20 # will kink up and coil up , 40# is a mess to use in colder weather. So, I'm looking to switch to a better mono. I like mono better than braid. What would be a good line with good knot holding and less stretch and memory than the BBG. Thank you.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

With the BBG  I have been using the Hi viz green, and the reg green. I did try the Sufix Titanium two years ago, Line was fine but for some reason it seemed like it was stuck together when I would pull it from the reel to adjust the line. I do use the X T 17# on my plug casting rod and reel and it works great. I'm looking for a line mostly for chunking and soaking bait.

49 mins ago, hunter123 said:

. I'm looking for a line mostly for chunking and soaking bait.

Have you reached out to Bob the Garbage Man?  I think he uses 90# dacron for his 20 hour soaks

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

2 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Ande Backcountry

I used there 14# or 15# about 3 years ago on my flounder surf rod. I really liked it. But how is it in the higher # test for memory, 20# to 40 # . I really did like the line. Local B & T don't carry it anymore.

21 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

How about good old Ande Pink?

You know, I wasn't actually going to suggest it because of the dozens of choices that are out there and you don't see Ande pink very mich anymore. Hovever, that's exactly the stuff which got me started in the fishing game and it was damn good line. I'm pretty sure that it still works well. Ande tournament is good stuff too. 

3 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I have been using BBG 12 # 20# and up to 40# test mono. I have noticed lately the 20 # will kink up and coil up , 40# is a mess to use in colder weather. So, I'm looking to switch to a better mono. I like mono better than braid. What would be a good line with good knot holding and less stretch and memory than the BBG. Thank you.

heres 2 to try out.

I use winch reels only.

#1-cabelas salt striker copolymer mono,thinner than standard mono and way less memory.[30lb is nearly equal in dia to 20 standard mono and is always on sale.]the 15 lb is very thin,almost like 10lb.

#2- sea striker clear premium,soft casts nice as well,i use it in 20-30lb for main line and 60-80 for leader.

both are very good,I love fishing with both.

5e0146d97277c_HHPlugWerxLDP735.JPG.e8a844dfc7c2cf27d0ad208f5d0f9de4.JPG

1_4lb_spool-2.jpg.49fdce7cfbc165b1660fbb1f61788a75.jpg

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

42 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I used there 14# or 15# about 3 years ago on my flounder surf rod. I really liked it. But how is it in the higher # test for memory, 20# to 40 # . I really did like the line. Local B & T don't carry it anymore.

I used 12 and 20 pound test for surf fishing for several years before switching to braid. Thought it was THE best mono I had ever used. 

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

Momoi Hi-Catch

thanks, Have read good things about this brand. I want to thank you all for your input. Now I have a lot to go on when I hit the tackle store after Christmas, Probably will be Cabela's so I can use the gift cards. You all have a Great holiday . Thank's again.