SlackTideBri

New bluefish limit for 2020

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, woodbuggger21 said:

the issue with a size limit is too many people use snappers for bait or to eat.  

Yup and the biggest pushback will come from them. i could be wrong but i believe florida even has a min size limit in blues, in part to address this. 

10 mins ago, bdowning said:

Yup and the biggest pushback will come from them. i could be wrong but i believe florida even has a min size limit in blues, in part to address this. 

Fl and MD are the only two Atlantic states with a size limit on blues. IIRC FL is at 12 inches and MD is at 8 inches.

20 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Fl and MD are the only two Atlantic states with a size limit on blues. IIRC FL is at 12 inches and MD is at 8 inches.

CT also has a size. you can keep 10 at any size and 5 at greater than 12 inches. 

44 mins ago, Crackers said:

CT also has a size. you can keep 10 at any size and 5 at greater than 12 inches. 

NY has the same thing, but 10 at any size is not what I think of a size limit.

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

4 hours ago, Crackers said:

more states definitely need to look into an option like these 

On 12/27/2019 at 9:53 AM, Crackers said:

Not according to the dep, this is from 2019 CT DEP website 

B15B1663-994B-4F33-9F7D-E921A13FD3F9.png

On 12/22/2019 at 7:29 AM, fishinbill said:

Can someone explain this to me?  Does it mean that they were overfished in the past and that we're still seeing the effects of that?

I would assume that study they did was inconclusive, no doubt the blues are overfished. Go to jersey in april. You will see an oceanic holocaust for 3 weeks. 

No

20 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

I would assume that study they did was inconclusive, no doubt the blues are overfished. Go to jersey in april. You will see an oceanic holocaust for 3 weeks. 

It's semantics.  If a fish population is down for any reason, it's called "Overfished" whether or not fishing is to blame.  If a disease decimates a population, it would be called "Overfished".

In the case of bluefish, the regulators don't feel that fishing is to blame, so they say that "Overfishing" is NOT occurring.

Welcome to Fisheries Management speak...

They can call it what they want, there are less fish each year of most species that can be caught from shore.  Aside from small BSB, Scup, and dogfish.

9 mins ago, Kooky said:

They can call it what they want, there are less fish each year of most species that can be caught from shore.  Aside from small BSB, Scup, and dogfish.

Just answering the question, not expressing any comments...

1 hour ago, Roccus7 said:

No

It's semantics.  If a fish population is down for any reason, it's called "Overfished" whether or not fishing is to blame.  If a disease decimates a population, it would be called "Overfished".

In the case of bluefish, the regulators don't feel that fishing is to blame, so they say that "Overfishing" is NOT occurring.

Welcome to Fisheries Management speak...

Well spoken. 

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

New RI regs were published yesterday, bluefish did not change, still at 15 fish per persion per day. What Happened?

Looking for new regs to see what they adjusted.