coastalfreak

Fishing in Tampa Bay

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I may be going to a pier in Tampa Bay tomorrow to fish. Any specific techniques or baits I should know about? Looking for anything if any size. I’m assuming dead shrimp is a good tactic but what do y’all think?

Keep jumping from pier column to the next and you’d find the fishy ones. Try different depths at each one. 

This time of year, sheepshead and black drum. 

Use live shrimp. The frozen ones at the bait shops are old and soft when thawed. Live ones run $17 for 50. Once you’ve found the fish and if the numbers are there you’d go through that 50 quick. Good bait bucket with aerator, and keep the top shut, the birds will reach in and clean you out quick. Herons, egrets are not shy.    

On 12/20/2019 at 9:30 PM, saltfisherman said:

Keep jumping from pier column to the next and you’d find the fishy ones. Try different depths at each one. 

This time of year, sheepshead and black drum. 

Use live shrimp. The frozen ones at the bait shops are old and soft when thawed. Live ones run $17 for 50. Once you’ve found the fish and if the numbers are there you’d go through that 50 quick. Good bait bucket with aerator, and keep the top shut, the birds will reach in and clean you out quick. Herons, egrets are not shy.    

:laugh: