ASrod

Recommend me a new pair of pliers

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

I was taking some cut hooks off some plugs today and broke my pair of current pair. For the next season, I’d like to grab something real sturdy that will last me at least a couple seasons. I’ve considered going all out and grabbing a pair of those super nice titanium pliers but although pliers are a very important tool to me, I just can’t justify that much money on pliers. So if anyone has recommendations in the ~$100 category, let me hear them.

Looks like you can get a goid tool or a cheap tool.  Kinda hard to find a good cheap tool.

Get a quality steel plier for hook changing etc and cheap alum ones to take out to the salt.  I carry the steel in the truck and the alum on the belt.  

Spend the money, get good pliers. I just got the Danco TI pliers and they're bad ass. Good quality, and cheap dont really jive for longevity in the plier department. 

If you're cutting hooks get small pair of bolt cutters. You can get an inexpensive pair at harbor freight. Pliers aren't really meant to cut hooks on a regular basis. Try and cut some hooks with pliers and then try and cut braid. You'll probably be disappointed. 

24 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Spend the money, get good pliers. I just got the Danco TI pliers and they're bad ass. Good quality, and cheap dont really jive for longevity in the plier department. 

I also really like the Danco's. Pliers were the one tool I cheaped out on for a long time. Dealing with jaws moving while your trying to unhook a fish.  Buy a good pair of pliers, you'll never look back!!

I have an old pair of Krok pliers. Not sure if they are still making them or not (found this pair on the beach), but they are really solid nice pliers.

But if I had to buy a pair, I'd probably go with the Danco TI Premio. They are sharp, and you get a nice leather sheath.

36 mins ago, Kphresh said:

I have an old pair of Krok pliers. Not sure if they are still making them or not (found this pair on the beach), but they are really solid nice pliers.

But if I had to buy a pair, I'd probably go with the Danco TI Premio. They are sharp, and you get a nice leather sheath.

Super nice

20191129_180800.jpg

1 hour ago, Waycool said:

If you're cutting hooks get small pair of bolt cutters. You can get an inexpensive pair at harbor freight. Pliers aren't really meant to cut hooks on a regular basis. Try and cut some hooks with pliers and then try and cut braid. You'll probably be disappointed. 

I have bolt cutters. What I was doing was using the pliers to open up the cut part of the hook to swap them out.

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Super nice

20191129_180800.jpg

Is the quality comparable to the VS or if I could get a used pair of VS’s for a similar cost would I be better off?

3 mins ago, ASrod said:

I have bolt cutters. What I was doing was using the pliers to open up the cut part of the hook to swap them out.

If they are just for swapping out hooks, any old pair of regular pliers will do.  I use some old Vice Grips myself.  I presume you are not changing out hooks on the water.