ChuckieP

New bluefish limits

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

”Last week, fishery managers approved new regulations for the 2020 recreational bluefish fishery. These measures, which include a 3-fish bag limit for private anglers and a 5-fish bag limit for for-hire fishermen, represent a substantial reduction compared to the federal 15-fish bag limit that has been in place since 2000.”

We have allowed our resources for most recreational fish to be forever reduced with little chance we will see an increase for another decade or so. Given with the increase of min lentgh on Stripers and now a limit of three blue fish [does that hold true for snappers as well]the recreational fishermen will be once again be paying a serious price for years of mismanagement and poaching . What a shame and sham on how does one now pass on the traditions of fishing if we have no fish to catch. This will be double whammy for all tackle shops and those who charter fishing along the coast lines in boats. Peace

18 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

Is there a minimum length on blues?

Not in the ASMFC suggestions, though MD and FL already have minimum sizes, but they are the only two states. NY has a minimum size for the last 5 fish if you fill your 15 fish limit.

6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Not in the ASMFC suggestions, though MD and FL already have minimum sizes, but they are the only two states. NY has a minimum size for the last 5 fish if you fill your 15 fish limit.

Thanks.

I'm probably mistaken, but I thought we (NJ) had a 10" min. length not too long ago.  I'm prolly wrong...

Edited by Jettyhound

It's about time! I just don't know why they waited so long. I think they wanted to population to be reduced to a point where it could not recover. I couldn't find enough Blues last season to meet the new daily limit. I can't count the number of times I've seen a boat come in on a 90 degree day with a bilge full of Blues offering them to anyone who wanted. A shameful example of waste. For so long they were treated like lobster bait. No blues, small stripers, to few winter flounder, one cod limits. Yep the fisheries management has been stellar. 

I do enjoy a meal of pan fried snappers, and my family does enjoy catching those ferocious little fish. That is now a thing of the past... 

That is not to say I disagree with the regulation but I’m disappointed regardless.

I had no problems finding them this year but all small guys, perfect for tuna/shark bait but I do agree that 15 per day was excessive.

3 per day is more than reasonable. 

I remember a night at Bell Rd, back in the early 60s, where all of a sudden, there was a huge commotion on the point, 20 or so guys all standing around, staring at something on the ground. It was a small bluefish that my dad caught on an Atom Jr. It was the first blue that a lot of them had seen in years.