Ben Lippen

"Waterproof" Doors, fiberglass question

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Here's the scenario :

Raised up on pilings home in flood zone. Typical pt frame and cement board wall frames and ext. 

Garage doors on both ends as well as the "blow-out" vents. Floods a couple times each year, and the garage doors are always opened before to let the water through. 

Problem:

There are a few "interior" walls with doors separating the ground level rooms, as well as the wall and door to the the staircase leading to the house itself. On these walls are basic masonite doors that are swelled up and falling apart from being soaked in 6"  or more of water. They must be swinging doors with handles and the one must have a deadbolt.

Solution: ?

I could build new cedar doors. but still there's gonna be swell.

I could build new pvc doors, but they're heavy and sag.

I was thinking that maybe I could cut the bottom sides of a masonite door up about ten inches, enough to allow for fiberglass cloth and all.  Hard to explain my thoughts, but I dont care if the front and back of the door gets bigger because of the fiberglass. I have to account for the two sides though. 

Any thoughts?

I'm drawing a picture now, lol

2019-12-19_181028.jpg.a9e1fe6e8950263d5581ad7443680a82.jpg

Edited by Ben Lippen

A little expensive. A blank exterior fiberglass glass door 

You can get it prehung and just knock off the aluminum sill or you can prehang it yourself. Cut a vent in the bottom to let the water pass though 

Look for a composite edge. 

Yeah, plastic is a no go Joe.

Fiberglass doors are a no go as well. They are not made to sit it water.

I could try to cut the doors the same way and then spray them with that flex stuff, but I don't know how it would work. 

I do think that I can glass the bottoms of those doors so they are like boats. 

Build the door out of AZEK. Two layers of 1/2" sheet with blocking between of 1/2 inch or 3/8 depending on thickness desired. Yeah I know that's plastic but it would be a "forever" door. PVC glue is virtually indestructible.

15 hours ago, epanzella said:

Build the door out of AZEK. Two layers of 1/2" sheet with blocking between of 1/2 inch or 3/8 depending on thickness desired. Yeah I know that's plastic but it would be a "forever" door. PVC glue is virtually indestructible.

No can do. I finally got a look at both this morning and they are both fire rated doors. 

I definitely believe I can "re-build" the bottoms and then fiberglass them. That's my plan starting tomorrow. I will try to remember to get some pics as I go. :) 

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

No can do. I finally got a look at both this morning and they are both fire rated doors. 

I definitely believe I can "re-build" the bottoms and then fiberglass them. That's my plan starting tomorrow. I will try to remember to get some pics as I go. :) 

Huh, I didn't think of a fire rating in that application but I guess if they have garage doors they are garages! It will be interesting glassing the doors without them growing too big for the openings. Looking forward to pix. Good luck!

2 mins ago, epanzella said:

Huh, I didn't think of a fire rating in that application but I guess if they have garage doors they are garages! It will be interesting glassing the doors without them growing too big for the openings. Looking forward to pix. Good luck!

Hence cutting 1/4 - 1/2" off both sides of each door before glass and cloth. 

Keep them the same width so they still work in the jambs.  I just have to move the bottom hinges up a couple inches.

I think the wood inside the door is going to swell and pop your glass off . Have you considered an all steel (jamb also ) door . The commercial type .I believe  They come galvanized and you could topcoat with some quality paint . They are truly firerated .

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

I think the wood inside the door is going to swell and pop your glass off . Have you considered an all steel (jamb also ) door . The commercial type .I believe  They come galvanized and you could topcoat with some quality paint . They are truly firerated .

The whole point is I am going to seal the wood door with fiberglass so that water will not penetrate the door slab. I am wrapping the entire bottom of the door.

An all steel door would still not address the main problem.

Same as a fiberglass door.

In this instance, as much as I preach about thinking about a raindrop for water and gravity. this time one must NOT think like a raindrop.

It is a boat situation. Keeping the water out from below. 

I need to wrap and water-tight the bottoms of the doors to protect them from the water that rises below..

Any steel or even fiberglass door is just skinned frame. and water will, no matter what, get into the frame of any skinned door and rot it from the inside.

Wood or metal, it will rot/rust.

My solution seems best. 

Got the doors off and cut the skins off the bottoms about 8" high. I cut up the sides the same about 1/4", as well as the bottom, to allow for resin and wrap. 

I cut the new skin pieces out of 3/16" birch plywood. Tomorrow I  will glue and staple on the skins. then glass them. Get pictures then.

Yeah, I've ben considering that tonight. Thinking I could run a roundover bit around all the cut parts. When I get all the fabric cut I will mock it up and see if I need to cut the stiles a bit more.

But I think it will be okay.