fishfinder

Penn 704z are people really still spending $200 for a $100 reel?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying I'm a big Penn fan especially the older z series but how are they still making these reels and trying to sell them for $200. When just years ago new they were $100 .The New zs weren't even upgraded at all to really justify buying one new .People trying to sell used 9/10 704z reels are having trouble even getting $75. Thoughts?

I bought mine 2 seasons ago, Paid  $199.00. The price has not changed. I have never seen them for $ 100.00 . I think you may be mistaken , There still one of the best workhorse reels you can get. Maybe you saw the 100 buck price on fleabay, or amozonian rip off.  But your right it was a 100 buck reel 30 something years ago. I have a Penn 710 Z I wouldn't sell for 200 bucks. Tight lines.:howdy:

Edited by hunter123

41 mins ago, hunter123 said:

I bought mine 2 seasons ago, Paid  $199.00. The price has not changed. I have never seen them for $ 100.00

Back years ago ,before they were discontinued they were around a hundred bucks or so.The Z's got a reputation for being "bulletproof" and prices for unused Z's shot up after Penn discontinued them.When Penn started making them again a couple years ago they raised the price to 200 bucks. is it a good reel ? yes .Is it worth 200 bucks ? No I don't think so. I have a couple old Penn SSM's.I beat the hell out of them over the years.They have battle scars all over them from the long nights of fishing jetties and the rocky coast line in the New England area and been dunked  a few times they've held-up  flawlessly.Every bit as good as the Z's ,maybe even better.

Guys were talking about this in a recent Penn thread. I've been fishing a late 70's 705z on and off since I was a kid. Up until recently I've carried that reel from Maine to Delaware as a backup. Someone equated it to a jack and jumper cables. That's what it was always in the rig in case I needed it and acouple times I did.

But, I remember when penn was gonna start selling the z's again. People were making a big deal about it. Everyone that still fished them had several and by the late 90's everyone had moved to staal. 

I am surprised they still offer them for sale. I wonder how many they really sold since the reissue??

I’d much rather buy a $200 Z Series than a $200 dollar stradic. 

Don’t get me wrong, modern reels are awesome. But I’ll take longevity, durability, and simplicity over new fancy technology where more things can go wrong. That’s the issue I feel when using expensive stuff: I feel like I have to baby reels, but a good simple Penn I can abuse to hell and back and it will still be there. 

Sidenote: @hunter123, what line do you have on that 710?

Edited by coastalfreak

2 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I bought mine 2 seasons ago, Paid  $199.00. The price has not changed. I have never seen them for $ 100.00 . I think you may be mistaken , There still one of the best workhorse reels you can get. Maybe you saw the 100 buck price on fleabay, or amozonian rip off.  But your right it was a 100 buck reel 30 something years ago. I have a Penn 710 Z I wouldn't sell for 200 bucks. Tight lines.:howdy:

I'm not sure of the exact year the z series 4 and 6 were re released but it can't be more than 10 years ago was think maybe 7 or 8 years ago.it was re released because of so many people asking for it to come back but we weren't expecting it to be double the price.

It was 2013, if I'm not mistaken there still made in PA. Which makes sense cause all the tooling was there.

The thing is, how many people were really begging for the z's to be rereleased??? I think people get mislead. Even tho there is a high concentration of hard-core surfcaster's on this site. As a whole we're a small group and we're the only ones that still cherished the Z....

i might be wrong but i do not think there is any other$200 reel with marine grade bronze main gear. the metalurgy in these reels are better then their weight class

4 hours ago, fishfinder said:

Let me start off by saying I'm a big Penn fan especially the older z series but how are they still making these reels and trying to sell them for $200. When just years ago new they were $100 .The New zs weren't even upgraded at all to really justify buying one new .People trying to sell used 9/10 704z reels are having trouble even getting $75. Thoughts?

$75? You're generous.

$50 at best

3 hours ago, meccalli said:

You believe $100 today and $100 in 1975 have the same value? Have you heard of inflation?

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=100&year=1973

Yes I have heard of inflation instead of doing it back to 1973 go back to say 2011 when they started to sell the reels again not sure exactly but think it was 09 they were discontinued maybe a year or two earlier so here's that inflation

20191219_233134.jpg

Maybe if they made the reel more braid friendly and ported the rotor cup like vs and many other reel now maybe I could see it being worth $200 in today's money.again let me reiterate I loved z series reels and the 704z and 706z reel were probably the best surf reel out for over 50 years at that price point .when I started surf casting I poo pooed the vs I knew it was great but couldn't justify buying one for 700 when I could get 7 704zs or maybe 6 or 5 706zs  .so instead of getting a vs I got all the greenies and all zs for the price of one new vs. pic is missing 714 and 716 but do have them ;) some cracks and luxors there to the precursor of the penns

ry=4009.jpg

Edited by fishfinder