icarussound

high sticking

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I’m curious, how often do you break your rod from high sticking. Happened to me in my yak on a Tarpon, not huge and (I thought) not green. Got my replacement yesterday and the dude at the tackle shop said essentially most rods will break under those circumstances.

I high sticked a St. Croix maybe two weeks ago.... it snapped. It was my first time ever snapping a rod by high sticking it. Totally my fault. Replacement is on its way to me right now.

Edited by Pma531

After getting the fish close to the kayak for landing, grab the blank somewhere in the middle  holding it basically parallel to the water to get it that last bit closer, you wont high stick like this, if the fish decides to get one more run no problem, switch back & resume fighting the normal way...

Really depends on the rod. I've only snapped one rod doing this, and was an extra fast casting rod I used for fishing top water frogs...snagged a stump on the hook set. It would seem very difficult to do with a moderate action rod.

i’ve actually seen more rods break on a snap BACK - when a hook pulls and the line / rod snaps back too fast to react.

all sorts of rods too...

Edited by nicknotsebastian

Turned a Sage 4pc into a 5pc once. Totally my fault. Was rock hopping on a falling tide, had to really reach to land the 24"ish schoolie I hooked. Wasn't paying attention to the extreme bend in the rod. Ker- Snap! 

Lesson learned.

OK, I’d never heard this term before, good to know. Mine was a tidemaster which is a pretty strong rod, or so I thought.  Now I know. Got the replacement returned under warranty and upgraded to an avid despite my better instincts. Very nice rod. I’ll take Billz’s advice the next time, thanks!

I broke a Loomis years back setting the hook on a blackfish. Just recently started hearing about high sticking (not hockey). Didn’t have any other rod issues. Loomis replaced the saltwater series with a newer comparable model. 

7 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I've been horseshoeing the GSB1201l for about 3 years now and no breakage...  yet...

I have been doing the same with my custom Lami GSB 120 1L  cut 10 to 12” from butt for years. Never broke one. Not even “lifting” schoolies up an 8’ rock wall at PT Jude. They are strong rods! 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

This past summer while giving a drunken display of how much a fish (that I had lost) was bending my Jarvis Walker I snapped the rod in front of my audience.

I guess you can call that "high" sticking.

12 mins ago, Grayson said:

Necessary evil in certain situations, part of fishing. If your scared of breaking it, get a different blank.

Or have a company design blanks to your specs...Rodgeeks XC prototype testing

11037564_10203715092299597_2124148499460490829_n.jpg