Mr. Sophistication

What's the best sand spike?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get a few heavy duty sand spikes for pompano fishing. I'm done with PVC. I want something reasonably tall and made out of metal. I found a really good one online a ways back but I can't find it. It had a beer holder built in.

My budget is around $50 per spike. Obviously when it comes to spending money, less is always more.

What do you guys like to use?

Thanks for your responses.

theres one out that has a red top and aluminum stake for about 20 bucks its great bc the red top has a bait holder and tray w a knife slot. a beer also fits in the bait area.  its perfect!

sea striker sand pal.  its should only be 20 bucks but some online are more.....it may be a bit lighter Than  ur thinking  but its sweet ...I usually have two spikes and ones heavier for a big drum rod

16 mins ago, bronson said:

sea striker sand pal.  its should only be 20 bucks but some online are more.....it may be a bit lighter Than  ur thinking  but its sweet ...I usually have two spikes and ones heavier for a big drum rod

Thanks, I'll check it out.

50" Anglers Fish N Mate.   I'm on my second one.   The first one lasted about 8 years with heavy usage.   Love that you're able to secure it with your foot.   I have a bad back, but no bending with this product, plus it's light.     

21 mins ago, justafisher said:

I like to the fish n mate also . Great for when you need a very good hold for sharking ,also like the 3 tands for portability.

I like those fold up ones. Is that two pieces for one spike or two different kinds?

I like the stainless spikes, the L bracket with tube welded on type, but I hate the way the reel stem rubs on the hard plastic lip

Adding an aluminum fence cap solves that problem and give you a loop to attach a bungee or strap so you can carry it over your shoulder

The holds are there so I could go in with a punch and flatten out the end of the pop rivets, help with drainage too

SandSpikeModification2.jpg.538861dd2dcf9934387cd4c8f70244c1.jpgSandSpikeModification3.jpg.05b0459ed50b4591d64b4e7e3d98f1b7.jpgSandSpikeModification4.jpg.fde6ff2aca898f9063986f165a709460.jpg

13 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I don’t bother with sand spikes anymore.  Tripods are the way to go.

C1D0AD80-CB97-4D16-9562-FC5E83463569.jpeg

I can see the rod sailing out over the horizon when that big girl hits