Sudsy

Need a new tide watch - recommendations ??

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

58 mins ago, levari said:

Since tides are location dependent, how do you program the location into this watch?

it's in the booklet that comes with it.

has all the major cities codes in it and then you fine tune it with another procedure.

mine has been dead on.

since I had it I only set it 2 times and that because the solar cell went dead from being in the drawer over winter.

now,i leave it on my little table,it stays at full power from the lamp.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

1 min ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

it's in the booklet that comes with it.

mine has been dead on.

since I had it I only set it 2 times and that because the solar cell went dead from being in the drawer over winter.

now,i leave it on my little table,it stays at full power from the lamp.

HH

The tide change when you move to a different location, so do you program it each time you fish in a different location? I use to own Casio many years ago, the tide function was a piece of crap. Never kept the tide right even in the same location.

19 mins ago, levari said:

The tide change when you move to a different location, so do you program it each time you fish in a different location? I use to own Casio many years ago, the tide function was a piece of crap. Never kept the tide right even in the same location.

oh,no,you can but,I ask myself why would I.

for me,knowing my locations is something that came with experience,,with that in mind  I don't rely on the watch for that part of it.

I go to the location I want at the proper time and fish when it's time to regardless of what the tide is on the watch.

where I am the farther east,the earlier the tide.

I set the watch for my fave place and then go from there knowing if another place is an hour before or after whatever it may be.

def have to study the booklet,it will keep you rolling.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

On 12/19/2019 at 7:16 AM, Sudsy said:

Love my Bulova Tide Watch, but I've finally reached the age where I can't read the little dials without my reading glasses. Not much help when I'm not in the house 

Basically this.....

5dfab30fa6355_Eyesighthook.jpg.d7a6c249efd0196e88de4f016c35449c.jpg

This is exactly I am facing now, so sad without the glasses.

My brother and buddies got a deal on the Garmin Quatix watches (not sure which model #), and they were very happy with them. Essentially they are GPSed, so where ever you are, is the tide it is showing. I missed out on the deal, but they still have them, a few years old now, but their tide info always aligned with the phone app tides when we compared. Too ugly for a suit, but big enough font for us stately gentlemen.

{ I just searched, and it looks like the Quatix now is up to version #5, and can essentially wipe your butt for $600+, they got a deal on the 3 for around $125, if I remember correctly}

Edited by Jason B

Guys I know this is about watches.......but if that is the case I am assuming those wearing watches care about accuracy. That being said I have not worn a watch since the first day I retired from corp america nearly 9 years ago. I do not have meetings, conference calls nor a work schedule. No planes to catch,rides to meet amd meeting to make..........nirvana. If I want the most accurate time,tide,moon info available I have my smart phone.

No watch is more accurate and can do more. I do not need a pricey piece of metal on my wrist to constantly remind me where to be.......love,love,love the freedom........just an opinion.

10 mins ago, beret said:

Guys I know this is about watches.......but if that is the case I am assuming those wearing watches care about accuracy. That being said I have not worn a watch since the first day I retired from corp america nearly 9 years ago. I do not have meetings, conference calls nor a work schedule. No planes to catch,rides to meet amd meeting to make..........nirvana. If I want the most accurate time,tide,moon info available I have my smart phone.

No watch is more accurate and can do more. I do not need a pricey piece of metal on my wrist to constantly remind me where to be.......love,love,love the freedom........just an opinion.

What’s the difference between a watch on the wrist or iPhone in your hands? You are hooked either way...

13 mins ago, levari said:

What’s the difference between a watch on the wrist or iPhone in your hands? You are hooked either way...

True, but a phone is more accurate than a seiko, which is as accurate as a casio. Swatch watch is fourth. Least accurate is a Rolex. 

Edited by FEW3
Forgot the swatch

28 mins ago, beret said:

Totally get it and agree, but some of the new phones can be linked to The watch to essentially show the same information. Sometimes you're on the kayak and rock and taking out the phone is a risky pain. Also Im just used to wearing a watch 

Guys not poo pooing wearing a watch. If jewelry is your thing,you like the bling and the show and want to impress .......please do so.......go for it.  If accuracy and more detailed info is your goal, you are not very efficient. Levari stated the ease over a cell phone. Well I fish with my buddy and when a question comes up, I have the faster and more accurate answer. By the time he puts his pole down, rolles up his sleve, I generally have my phone out and have the answer. I keep it in my wader pouch. To each is own.........bottom line whoever gets there first, the guy with the cell phone has more accurate info and by the way can also take the pic for catch and release...........me, I love the freedom of not looking at a watch because I do not have meeting to go to. Personal things.........a half hour is close enough. No dick boss to ripe you a new a--hole........life is good.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:14 PM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

this has been my partner for 4years now,no battery to replace,solar powered.

40 smackers.

HH

ws210h-1av_xlarge.jpg.58883e453c7d7581c6f6dcd31bedf3fd.jpg

20200112_074507.jpg

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

Hey old blind guy, get the smart phone and the tide apps. You're too old to be climbing around on the rocks were the tide watch was important to know when it was time to get off the rock pile. 

I use the tide apps on my phone and have my Rip Curl tide watch looped on the strap of my bag if I'm out walking a beach. I will venture onto the rocks a little ways now but I'm done all the climbing and jumping and falling and so should you be.

:howdy:

By the way the smart watch is going to be TOO small for you to see. 

Besides you shutdown more bites anyone I know and as evidence I have one word.

HOLGATE.

Edited by CHIEF500

I also would like a classy tide watch that can be worn with a suit. What cufflinks would you recommend for the spring run ?

I am fishing a gold Van Staal with diamond encrusted power knob. I would like everything to match.  Thanks. 

20200112_102952.jpg