tper

Over head LED light - install but to bright

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

As this light comes with a module not a single LED would it be possible to just put Electrical tape over some of the LEDS?   They are low power so no heat - thoughts??

Dimmer best solution but can not fit it as this is mounted to a dual pole switch with no room for anything else...   Unless an ELF dimmer is made that I can not find with a standard AC input in the same module?

Any thoughts?   We like the light and it was a ton of work to install due to sizing

Tper

The worst that's going to happen with the electrical tape is that it will get all gummy and nasty. 

You could change out the box to allow room for a dimmer. 

1 hour ago, tper said:

As this light comes with a module not a single LED would it be possible to just put Electrical tape over some of the LEDS?   They are low power so no heat - thoughts??

Dimmer best solution but can not fit it as this is mounted to a dual pole switch with no room for anything else...   Unless an ELF dimmer is made that I can not find with a standard AC input in the same module?

Any thoughts?   We like the light and it was a ton of work to install due to sizing

Tper

I'm not understanding the dimmer problem. You have room for only one device in the switch box, currently a double switch, correct? There's plenty of dual dimmers if that's all there is to the problem.

Thanks from what I am seeing is there is no such thing as a dual dimmer for LED and straight AC plug all in one available receptacle.  If you know of one please forward a link 

Thanks

Tper, there are no dual side by side dimmers. 

Check out lutron caseta series switching. If there is a way to safely  bring the wiring from the switch that goes to the light to a different location but still accessible for future repairs, then a main switch can be mounted in there, also Using a wireless pico, is what they call it. This gives you the dimming and the pico is mounted separately from the switch box you’d currently be using. Giving the outlet the box to itself. The pico can actually be mounted next to the outlet and form a two gang location. 

Here’s  another thought. Is the outlet shared with the switch over a counter top with a upper cabinet too. You’d have to remove the outlet and using a wiremold plug strip mounted under the cabinet. This gets rid of the outlet on the face of the wall, brings it up and away for the switch. The strip gets hardwired. This works out nice if the current outlet is protected by a GFI outlet or circuit breaker assuming the current outlet is on a counter top at all. 

End result the switch is by itself and a dimmer can be installed. 

19 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Tper, there are no dual side by side dimmers. 

Check out lutron caseta series switching. If there is a way to safely  bring the wiring from the switch that goes to the light to a different location but still accessible for future repairs, then a main switch can be mounted in there, also Using a wireless pico, is what they call it. This gives you the dimming and the pico is mounted separately from the switch box you’d currently be using. Giving the outlet the box to itself. The pico can actually be mounted next to the outlet and form a two gang location. 

This is what I did to add a wireless switch to the other end of my long dark hall.  Except I mounted the pico twenty feet away on a wall. I put a matching switchplate over it and you would never know it isn't hardwired.

Also, because it's smarter than me, once ya set the brightness ya like, it remembers it. So ya just hit the switch and the light come up to where ya programmed it. Ya want more light, just hit the switch again.

Expensive, but very cool.

Edited by Ben Lippen

another issue with the modular led lights is that if one of the lights stops working for most people the whole unit is junk.

you cannot just simply replace the defective light. 

@tper  have you actually checked whether the fixture really won't work with a typical dimmer rated for dimmable CFLs and LEDs? Does it say it on the packaging or instructions? Many current fixtures and bulbs are made to work with legacy equipment like dusk/dawn switches, motion detectors and dimmers. Can you post the fixture's make & model?

8 hours ago, gellfex said:

@tper  have you actually checked whether the fixture really won't work with a typical dimmer rated for dimmable CFLs and LEDs? Does it say it on the packaging or instructions? Many current fixtures and bulbs are made to work with legacy equipment like dusk/dawn switches, motion detectors and dimmers. Can you post the fixture's make & model?

No I have not - It is from the Appeal collection LED flushmount #650067    

4 hours ago, tper said:

No I have not - It is from the Appeal collection LED flushmount #650067    

Yeah, it says ELV dimmer. You'd have been better off with a standard base bulb fixture and putting in a quality dimmable LED bulb.