JTR

Best Way to Spool Braid on Spinning Reels

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I'm preparing my spinning reels for next season. Last year, I broke off a big tarpon on 50lb braid, because my braid wasn't spooled tightly enough and it dug into itself and snapped at the spool. Granted, that fish was huge and was RIPPING line, but I don't want to have that happen again. So, without a professional machine to spool the braid, what do you guys find is the best way to tightly wrap braid onto a reel?

I read your travel post........ Very nice. 

I have a large empty lot / field where I walk out the entire spool of braid to be put on the reel. I tie it off on the the sign pole at the lot to get started. I'll put my backing on the reel for whatever space I need to take up, knot to braid, walk that off, and with reel on rod reel / spool it all on. 

This seems to work well for me. Good and tight. 

Good luck!

It might be worth it to take it to a shop and have them put it on. I think however you do it,it's not going to be as tight as putting it on with a reel spooler.Is it going to cost more,yep,but for the kind of fishing your doing it would be worth it...…..and I wouldn't put any backing on ...just my 2 cents. I'd also step it up to 65 or 80lb.

Edited by AlwaysWading

I have a shop spool my reels but I could’ve swore there’s a way to do it with an electric drill. And plus don’t they sell drill powered spooling machines where you insert a bit that rotates it for you? Might be worth looking in to one of the price is right.

44 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

I tie a knot to @ASrod tell him swim out 300yds then i drag him back to shore 

Yeah but you get the F&F discount, regular price is too much for an average joe to spool his line.

I spooled 2 of my reels earlier in the year and recently had a tackle shop spool a Battle II 4000 for me.  I only paid $20 which I would have paid more for the line anyway.  They did a lot better job than I did or could do.  

Eff spooling braid perfectly, just tie it to the spool, piece of back tape around it, then reel it onto the spool holding it as tight as you can between two fingers. After a few casts it's just as tight as the pros put it on.

3 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

I have a large empty lot / field where I walk out the entire spool of braid to be put on the reel. I tie it off on the the sign pole at the lot to get started. I'll put my backing on the reel for whatever space I need to take up, knot to braid, walk that off, and with reel on rod reel / spool it all on. 

This is what I did the fall on a reel and I found it worked well. Actually I spooled it on using the damp rag method then walked it out atleast 3/4  of the spool then walked it back in under good tension. Worked well

I've put it in in the living room, leather glove or wet rag, wife or son cranking it in with tight drag. 

I think I've always tied it off and walked it out after, cranked it back in.

Shop is best tho.

36 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Eff spooling braid perfectly, just tie it to the spool, piece of back tape around it, then reel it onto the spool holding it as tight as you can between two fingers. After a few casts it's just as tight as the pros put it on.

Until you hook a tarpon that rips 100 yards off and then you get to the part that isn't tight from casting.....

1 min ago, JTR said:

More details please haha.

Put the damp rag in the vise, run the line through it, tighten it to your preferred tension, start reeling.

Phone book is a similar idea (if you can find one in 2019).  Just put the line through the book in about the middle and start reeling.

44 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

7 mins ago, JTR said:

Until you hook a tarpon that rips 100 yards off and then you get to the part that isn't tight from casting.....

I've never hooked into a tarpon but I've caught stripers in the 200 to 300 pound range (so I'm exaggerating the weight just a wee bit:D) and never lost one because of poorly spooled braid except for the very first time and didn't use tape. :banghd: I just don't think it makes any difference wether you spool it tightly or a machine does it.