Stripsettter

Wife Friendly wade-in Bonefishing destinations?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Ive taken vacations to Turks and Caicos and Bahamas with the wife and caught Bonefish on guided trips but also struck out in the Keys, Grand Cayman, Aruba and other places. I’m looking to increase my chances of catching Bonefish but also cater to my non-fishing wife’s idea of a vacation which is sand, sun, restaurants, bars. She does go with me on the flats boat trips and takes pics so she’s into the experience, just not fishing all day lol.

I would really like to find a hotel or resort  or lodge that has wade-in flats or at least within walking distance. Preferably Bahama but really anywhere.

any suggestions ?

27 mins ago, Stripsettter said:

Ive taken vacations to Turks and Caicos and Bahamas with the wife and caught Bonefish on guided trips but also struck out in the Keys, Grand Cayman, Aruba and other places. I’m looking to increase my chances of catching Bonefish but also cater to my non-fishing wife’s idea of a vacation which is sand, sun, restaurants, bars. She does go with me on the flats boat trips and takes pics so she’s into the experience, just not fishing all day lol.

I would really like to find a hotel or resort  or lodge that has wade-in flats or at least within walking distance. Preferably Bahama but really anywhere.

any suggestions ?

Kamalame.

2 hours ago, frazerp said:

Kamalame is the Bahamas & looks lovely & pricey - how's about the Keys

Cheeca lodge...no wading

or I should say little, others would have more experience than me about wading as I have only fished out of a boat in the keys.

At Kamalame, in addition to traditional flats boat fishing where you drive in a car to your location.  At the resort each casita has a golf cart and running along the entire rear of the resort is giant bonefish flat - all for you.  It's very nice.

Edited by Cpalms

Be careful of Belize, just heard recently of a couple tourist fishermen getting shot there. Maybe it’s real, maybe fake news, but search it out carefully before you go, esp if you’re taking your wife. Americans tend to think everywhere in the world is like here, but it’s not. Chit happens, esp when you’re a foreigner and don’t know the ways. Gotta keep your guard up while traveling in new locales. 

I've been to Kamalame and would not recommend it for DIY bonefishing or for the resort itself.  We were was sucked in by the website and reviews last year and found the rooms to be dated and not well kept.  Organization and service were substandard.  Food and food service was not up to par.  Poor beach by any standards.  And the bonefishing was very limited.  We actually cut our intended stay short.  I've caught literally 150-200 bonefish, the vast majority wading unguided and was not impressed.  Really 2 areas there, one was OK (north tip of island), the other better area (looks like a mile long flat but really only the very top portion held fish) required wading through waist deep water to get to the shallower flat and then an even deeper wade back when the tide rises.  The fish there, despite being spooky, did seem to prefer heavy crab patterns.  Go figure.

I do NOT have a lot of experience in bonefishing, something that will change as I get a couple more of my kids thru college :o . A few years back I took my wife to the keys for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary, I think it was our 20th, and it sounds similar to what you are looking to accomplish. We were there for 4 full days. I booked one day with a guide.The other 3 days I went on wading on my own from early morning to early afternoon, and then I met up with my wife for site seeing, some nice tiki bars, a sailing trip and some really nice dinners. My wife was happily kept busy in mornings at the spa, the pool, beach, shopping, etc. I would do it again, but some take aways from the first trip;

I knew/know NOTHING about bonefishing. I tied a dozen flies that I saw on the web. I picked up a half dozen local flies at a shop in Islamorada, and I had a wading guide book. I was totally winging it, and I was okay with that. While wading over a few days I had a couple shots at fish, and it was very exciting, but I was positioned incorrectly to make a good presentation. Time on the water would fix that.

My guide was very nice, and knowledgeable. We did spend most of the day getting to and staked out at one pass where he was sure fish would be at some point in the tide. He was right, eventually a group of 4-5 fish came thru, and I had a shot and a good follow, but not a take. It seems like a lot of time and effort for one quick shot, but I don't know the ropes. The last couple hours we poled around a flat and saw only a couple single fish well over 100' away. It was still fun. I need more time on the water.

So, 4 days on the water, one follow, no fish, but I still had fun, and I realize I have a lot to learn, and also heard and read that Florida bonefish are pretty tough in the first place. 

I really like the Keys. It's easy to get to. Great seafood. Lots of fishing opportunities and lots of family fun stuff. My wife and I are even considering a vacation home there. I think i just need to learn the fishery better to be successful. It sounds like you have a bunch of experience already, so your learning curve should be a lot shorter than mine!

Good luck wherever you end up!

14 hours ago, Flbeachbum said:

I've been to Kamalame and would not recommend it for DIY bonefishing or for the resort itself.  We were was sucked in by the website and reviews last year and found the rooms to be dated and not well kept.  Organization and service were substandard.  Food and food service was not up to par.  Poor beach by any standards.  And the bonefishing was very limited.  We actually cut our intended stay short.  I've caught literally 150-200 bonefish, the vast majority wading unguided and was not impressed.  Really 2 areas there, one was OK (north tip of island), the other better area (looks like a mile long flat but really only the very top portion held fish) required wading through waist deep water to get to the shallower flat and then an even deeper wade back when the tide rises.  The fish there, despite being spooky, did seem to prefer heavy crab patterns.  Go figure.

Wow very surprised by this. Looks like great place and good reviews. Where would you recommend?