yarddog59

"He's just my Dog"

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds

He is my other ears that hear above the winds

He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.

He has told me a thousand times over that

I am his reason for being;

by the way he rests against my leg;

by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile;

by the way he shows his hurt when I leave

without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry

when he is not along to care for me)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.

When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.

When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool,

he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him,

I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful.

He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion.

With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.

He has brought me understanding where before was ignorance.

His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.

His presence by my side is protection against my fears

of dark and unknown things.

He has promised to wait for me......whenever

......wherever -- in case I need him.

And I expect I will -- as I always have.

He is just my dog.

By Gene Hill

Edited by yarddog59

Yes, very true, I like dogs better than humans.   What's amazing watching my son as a newborn until now (2yrs) growing up with a dog.  It's an amazing experience for a child and it's amazing watching it through my eyes.  

2 mins ago, Goldy said:

Yes, very true, I like dogs better than humans.   What's amazing watching my son as a newborn until now (2yrs) growing up with a dog.  It's an amazing experience for a child and it's amazing watching it through my eyes.  

"Dogs are everything people should be."...Danny Petrow

Damn it, just had to say goodbye to ours and I'm at the office wondering, should I open this.  Turns out I shouldn't have cuz now Im a friggin mess.  But thanks for sharing.  It's all very true. 

Woof, nothing like some morning emotions in the office.  A few weeks ago while I was out fishing the vet called with routine checkup results and said my pups kidneys have started to fail.  No clear timeline so trying to make the best of every day I got with em.

Anyone facing these difficult decisions, if it's of any use, we opted to go with an at home service.  My dog used to enjoy his vet appts.  And they enjoyed his time at the office.  He'd be allowed off the leash while we waited and was allowed roam wherever.  In the last 2 years suddenly he no longer wanted to go inside.  I knew there was no way I could make his final ride be to a place he had suddenly come to fear.  So we said good bye in the comfort of his home in his own bed. 

2 mins ago, fishless said:

Anyone facing these difficult decisions, if it's of any use, we opted to go with an at home service.  My dog used to enjoy his vet appts.  And they enjoyed his time at the office.  He'd be allowed off the leash while we waited and was allowed roam wherever.  In the last 2 years suddenly he no longer wanted to go inside.  I knew there was no way I could make his final ride be to a place he had suddenly come to fear.  So we said good bye in the comfort of his home in his own bed. 

Thats my plan, gotta find someone in monmouth county who will do in home..  He's been in and out of the vet a few times in the last weeks.  Used to be ok there but after all the tests theyve ran on him hes just completely petrified of the place, just uncontrollably shaking.  I'll never let his last moments be like that.  

1 min ago, bbfish said:

Thats my plan, gotta find someone in monmouth county who will do in home..  He's been in and out of the vet a few times in the last weeks.  Used to be ok there but after all the tests theyve ran on him hes just completely petrified of the place, just uncontrollably shaking.  I'll never let his last moments be like that.  

Our vet and a couple of coworkers recommended Lap of Love.  They have vets that work different parts of the state.  We specifically were referred to Dr. Shannon Cabell who is very nice.  We live in Mercer County so it's possible she would cover MoCo or parts of it.  She was very accommodating and was willing to come and perform services on Thanksgiving if need be.  She ensured everything was very peaceful.   

It hurts to let them go, but it is the best thing that one can do when they are in pain and incurable.  I lost my best friend just about a year ago and in my heart I knew it was for the best.  I waited a few month before I got a new pup and it does ease the grief.  It’s amazing how empty a home is without a dog.

16 mins ago, fishless said:

Our vet and a couple of coworkers recommended Lap of Love.  They have vets that work different parts of the state.  We specifically were referred to Dr. Shannon Cabell who is very nice.  We live in Mercer County so it's possible she would cover MoCo or parts of it.  She was very accommodating and was willing to come and perform services on Thanksgiving if need be.  She ensured everything was very peaceful.   

Thanks man.  I dont think its time yet but just want to be ready for when it is.