dannyplug1

travle surf rods

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Just got back from Florida.  we went to Sanibel, but I didn't fish much bought a cheap rod and the rings on the guides fell out.  I went to blind pass between Captiva and Sanibel island,  It looked like prime night fishing territory for snook and tarpon.  my question is tere a good surf fishing rod that's a travel rod?  thinking about a light rod 7'  to throw light stuff sp minnow jigs etc and a heavier weight 9-10' rod that could throw a heavy plug like a darter or a bottle checked Lami doesn't look like they have that kind of rod,  thinking about st Croix any ideas.  thanks Charlie

there is a travel rod thread on here  w all kinds of info.  also a few new ones out such as daiwa Ardito ......id skip the the mental energy and just buy the st Croix ones......

I've got a Daiwa Ardito 7'.  It's well made, decent inshore rod, though I haven't compared to the St. Croix which I understand is pretty nice.

I've handled but not fished the Ardito 11' surf rod.  First impression was that it was on the heavy side.  I would like to get a travel surf stick suitable for throwing poppers & Rangers at roosters and the like.  I've heard the Century 5 piece sling shot is about as good as you can get, but almost $900.  Yikes! 

I have a Daiwa land surf telescopic and it is awesome.  Not just for travel , it’s flat out great!  I have a 13’9” but they make smaller. I cast a tsunami talking popper like a laser with this rod.

35F6CCBD-5052-4245-A0CF-11D5B4584B29.png

I ship a 2 piece 7 footer (and a 4 piece 8wtx9') to my hotel when I go to Captiva.  It costs around $35.  (I don't think there is a need for a spinning rod longer than 7".  The fish are at your feet.)    

I picked up a used Okuma Nomad, 10'6" i think but havent used it yet traveling

- rigging it + test casting seemed legit for the 2-3oz range

- got good reviews at a good price

- just another option worth checking out

specifically for roosters off the beach, zeno has some online travel rod reviews

I fished the Okuma Nomad 9’ a lot this summer. Bought it for a trip down to NC but liked its convenience factor so much just kept using it locally (I drive a Mazda Miata. Nuff said.) 4 pieces and the ferrules fit together pretty nicely BUT if you’re casting plugs for hours at a time the top section WILL come loose. I’ve tried jamming the piece down harder and that just delays the inevitable. And forget about pencil poppers. A half hour, hour tops of whipping that rod while working the pencil and your top or middle section comes loose. Not sure other travel rods have the same problem. So aside from that :eek: the action of the rod is sweet. Very light, casts SP minnows, bucktails and tins a mile. Make sure the butt section length is to your liking though. I find it a bit short. $200 is also a bit steep. But you def have to pay a premium for most travel rods. 

1 min ago, glos said:

I just bought these. Ordered directly from Italy. Maver Duke Mormora.

4 meters, 110 grams cw.

463 grams each, weighs.

Designated for these fish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_steenbras

5dfb654069668_Picture003.jpg.ba97f6520cd7e0101489759014b8f65d.jpg

5dfb654268223_Picture001.jpg.d7076a79a1d6e28dfd9796628633c609.jpg

5dfb6543eacdd_Picture002.jpg.3e211e21b0cf520f2a9d67939270455e.jpg

5dfb6545780a8_Picture004.jpg.912ce75d22a9f8ac72a9f9c4b68d5deb.jpg

Finally someone who likes tele’s.  I own 4 different sizes and types.  Today’s telescopic rods are not junk like in years past.  My Daiwa Land Surf is awesome.

I'll definitely check out the Land Surf.  Tellies were generally the rule not the exception when I was in Okinawa, but that was 20 years ago. 

34 mins ago, bmac said:

I'll definitely check out the Land Surf.  Tellies were generally the rule not the exception when I was in Okinawa, but that was 20 years ago. 

Really wow all the tele’s I saw here 20 years ago were junk.  Not any more...

11 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

I fished the Okuma Nomad 9’ a lot this summer. Bought it for a trip down to NC but liked its convenience factor so much just kept using it locally (I drive a Mazda Miata. Nuff said.) 4 pieces and the ferrules fit together pretty nicely BUT if you’re casting plugs for hours at a time the top section WILL come loose. I’ve tried jamming the piece down harder and that just delays the inevitable. And forget about pencil poppers. A half hour, hour tops of whipping that rod while working the pencil and your top or middle section comes loose. Not sure other travel rods have the same problem. So aside from that :eek: the action of the rod is sweet. Very light, casts SP minnows, bucktails and tins a mile. Make sure the butt section length is to your liking though. I find it a bit short. $200 is also a bit steep. But you def have to pay a premium for most travel rods. 

I used to have this problem with my 2 piece.     There were a couple times when I casted my tip section into the water, but I found a solution for this problem.     Take a candle stick and rub some wax off on the male section of the ferrule.  The additional friction from the wax will prevent the ferrules from coming loose, even after hours of casting.     The wax also prevents the ferrules from getting permanently stuck when you jam the sections together really hard.