Elbow-cubital tunnel

Rate this topic

joefishnj21

Ended my season right after thanksgiving but truthfully was kind of forced to. Have you guys ever had elbow issue in your casting arm?. I chuck it thousands of times a season. Bout mid summer my hand would tingle and elbow would hurt. Its in my left arm, Im a lefty. Im sure its a combo of years of sports, casting and general wear and tear. Went to an ortho, he flicked the point of my elbow and asked if i felt it in my fingers. i did big time. Gave me a cortisone...it did absolutely nothing. Anyway, I plan on being out in spring because fishing is my passion. Anybody ever have a simillar experience? Tennis elbow, etc.. Any reccomend remedies? Appreciate input. 

I had tennis aka casting elbow a few years ago. The answer for me was my physical therapist, who I've used successfully for various other problems. He did deep massage of tissues around the elbow, cold (ice) therapy, and bunch of arm strengthening and flexibility exercises both at the facility 1-2 times a week and also at home. It all went away after maybe a month and I haven't had a problem since. I have continued at least some of the exercises at home ever since.

Caveat: I did not have any tingling or nerve issue, just muscle and joint soreness. So what worked for me may or may not work for you. 

Pfantum Pfishah

42 mins ago, bdowning said:

I had tennis aka casting elbow a few years ago. The answer for me was my physical therapist, who I've used successfully for various other problems. He did deep massage of tissues around the elbow, cold (ice) therapy, and bunch of arm strengthening and flexibility exercises both at the facility 1-2 times a week and also at home. It all went away after maybe a month and I haven't had a problem since. I have continued at least some of the exercises at home ever since.

Caveat: I did not have any tingling or nerve issue, just muscle and joint soreness. So what worked for me may or may not work for you. 

Thanks boys. Big believer in P.T. might have to make a call. I kno theres a thing they do in PT called ulnar flossing where they get the elbow sort of opened up by manipulating it in different directions. People swear by it. 

When you say hand would tingle?  Whole hand or just pinky and third finger?   Reason I ask, had similar issues and found out I had a ulnar nerve entrapment . . . actually was killing my nerve and had surgery to correct, but never got back what I lost.  Waited way too long for the surgery.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

1 min ago, cartopper said:

When you say hand would tingle?  Whole hand or just pinky and third finger?   Reason I ask, had similar issues and found out I had a ulnar nerve entrapment . . . actually was killing my nerve and had surgery to correct, but never got back what I lost.  Waited way too long for the surgery.

often whole. but mostly on pinky side (meaty side of hand). Yeh thats what im afraid of to be honest. 

Edited by joefishnj21

I highly doubt that this tennis elbow/tendonitis/bursitis/etc. 

3.5 years ago I had something similar - subtle tingling (pins and needles) in my right pinky and ring finger along with a twinge of pain in my elbow. I didn’t give it much thought. Summer came and I fished less than normal and it stopped. That fall, it blew up on me big time. I didn’t get any imaging done at that time but was diagnosed with a neck issue. 

I got the mri this year, In laymen’s terms I have a pinched nerve in my neck. It’s kind of a big issue. 

anyways, I’m certainly not saying you have a similar issue but I am saying I would watch it closely and not blow it off. Your ‘tingling’ suggests nerve involvement and that’s not something to be messed with. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Just now, joefishnj21 said:

often whole. particulaely on pinky side (meaty side). Yeh thats what im afraid of to be honest. 

Get it checked again . . . like I said, waited too long and had permanent nerve damage.  Muscle atrophied in my left hand and is much weaker than my right.  

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

2 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

Ended my season right after thanksgiving but truthfully was kind of forced to. Have you guys ever had elbow issue in your casting arm?. I chuck it thousands of times a season. Bout mid summer my hand would tingle and elbow would hurt. Its in my left arm, Im a lefty. Im sure its a combo of years of sports, casting and general wear and tear. Went to an ortho, he flicked the point of my elbow and asked if i felt it in my fingers. i did big time. Gave me a cortisone...it did absolutely nothing. Anyway, I plan on being out in spring because fishing is my passion. Anybody ever have a simillar experience? Tennis elbow, etc.. Any reccomend remedies? Appreciate input. 

I get exactly that.

Like electrodes in my elbow through my fore arm through my hand (sometimes the top sometimes the bottom sometimes the side).

Switching from spinning to casting helps

Sometimes a glove for grip helps too as it changes the angles and such in the joints when casting and retrieving.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

yeh its interesting you bring up the back. have had some back issues thru the years. I was a rower in college. Rowed tice a day for 4 yrs. bowed my arm, bent my back. lifted constantly. Ok. good posts. gives me a lot to think about. sorry to turn a happy/hobby site into a medical thing but the casting is a big proponent i believe of the wear and tear. Knew some of u have been thru this. 

Edited by joefishnj21

Neuro stuff is ‘weird’ 

my problem is a bone spur on c7 at the opening where the nerve branches off. My pain is in my chest, tricep, elbow, forearm and wrist (very specific spots) with tingling in my fingers. I can have all flare or just one spot flare (or multiple spots). 

again, my initial signs were a slight twinge of pain in the elbow and tingling in two fingers. I blew the elbow off as tendonitis and thought the fingers were ‘strange’. 

Also, I had a history of neck issues and always knew something was brewing there. In my case, getting the imaging done earlier wouldn’t have made a difference.

long term, surf fishing with 11’ rods is over for me. I’m hoping I can do other things to make it work. 

back to the op, cortisone shots don’t always work and they never work when they’re in the wrong spot. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

I'd maybe get a second ortho opinion before jumping to PT. PT will help ease the pain indirectly but I don't think it'll solve a nerve entrapment problem if that's what it is. I'm no doctor but nerve problems are nothing to eff around with from what I hear. 

I've also had carpal tunnel tingling unrelated to the tennis elbow and it sounds a lot like your symptoms too. That one went away but only after a lot of rest. Could be a couple of things going on. Yes, it sucks. :squid:

Pfantum Pfishah

58 mins ago, bdowning said:

I'd maybe get a second ortho opinion before jumping to PT. PT will help ease the pain indirectly but I don't think it'll solve a nerve entrapment problem if that's what it is. I'm no doctor but nerve problems are nothing to eff around with from what I hear. 

I've also had carpal tunnel tingling unrelated to the tennis elbow and it sounds a lot like your symptoms too. That one went away but only after a lot of rest. Could be a couple of things going on. Yes, it sucks. :squid:

X2, PT is only temporary relief. Not a cure, for that, you'll have to stop or change whatever you are doing that cause the pain.  

12 mins ago, hobobob said:

X2, PT is only temporary relief. Not a cure, for that, you'll have to stop or change whatever you are doing that cause the pain.  

Thanks. Stinks. Very odd and uncomfortable. As u said think im going to have to curtail things heavily and Ill go from there. I keep my rod loaded at about 10am to 9am with my left arm. Hand pointed at almost a 90 degree andlge. I let it load than chuck it like a spear. Repeated that motion probably 2000 times this years. It was bound to catch up to me. 

Edited by joefishnj21