fishonnelsons

Not striped bass, but,,,,,,

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

No discussion on 99% probability that 2020 will bring new bluefish regulations - max 3 for private, recreational anglers and 5 for charter and headboat anglers?

i realize this is “stripers” on line, but pretty sure some of us on here fish and keep bluefish as well.

I read this on the main forum. Conservation is a good thing. I would like to see the limit be the same for everyone though. 

The regs are a number of years too late but its a start.  Without meaningful regs, we'll continue to overfish just about everything.  For some reason a lot of people seem to think the ocean is a bottomless pit.  I don't get it.

First ive heard of it. Prolly got buried in all the noise about striper changes. For me personally you could drop the limit to 1 and id be happy. why someone would need to keep 10 adult blues per day is beyond me.

the ones who will squawk will be those taking snapper blues for bait or consumption. and i suppose the charters may not be too happy either. no idea how many run blues charters at this point.

I read about the proposed bluefish regs too.  It really is about time. If there ever was a fish that's been abused, it's bluefish. I was guilty of it too.  We often fished for blues, just for lobster bait. 

As Bill said, why would anyone need 15 blues a day, unless they're fishing them commercially.

Edited by bob_G

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I read about the proposed bluefish regs too.  It really is about time. If there ever was a fish that's been abused, it's bluefish. I was guilty of it too.  We often fished for blues, just for lobster bait. 

As Bill said, why would anyone need 15 blues a day, unless they're fishing them commercially.

Even commercially, we rarely got more than 15-30 cents a pound for them. Once in a while, like around Christmas the price might jump up.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Agreed. They are cheap, but lots of people use them for bait. (and they are good for that)

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

First ive heard of it. Prolly got buried in all the noise about striper changes. For me personally you could drop the limit to 1 and id be happy. why someone would need to keep 10 adult blues per day is beyond me.

the ones who will squawk will be those taking snapper blues for bait or consumption. and i suppose the charters may not be too happy either. no idea how many run blues charters at this point.

With the stripers not bountiful around the outer Cape, most charters will also target bluefish.  A tug on a line is a tug on a line for kids and novices. 

Edited by fishonnelsons

55 mins ago, JTR said:

Is this going to be coast wide? I believe Florida has the same Regs - 10 fish per person, but 12” minimum length (fork length).

Yes, I believe entire East coast