westcoastnewguy

what braid is everybody using ?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

just bought a new reel - daiwa emcast.  looking to put some new 30 pound braid on it.  casting lucky strike, minnows for stripers and occasionally the crab snare.

read lots of guys use suffix 832 on the east coast.  guy at the tackle store was pushing pline braid.  according to him east coast guys do it bc it's made by rapala - east coast company.

power pro is popular  bc it's made here - west coast. super 8 slick v2  over regular power pro ?

I’ve used sufix 832, original PP, slick8 and slick8 v2. 832 seems to be the most colorfast of them all, but other than that not super impressed. When it comes time to reup on line, it’s a toss up between slick8 and slick8v2 for me. I like the way they handle; I run 20lb, 30lb, and 50lb on casting and spin gear. Not a fan of original pp, too rough on guides and noisy.

I only fish old Penn 704s (except for a new 704z that I field tested for Penn and they let me keep) and I can say that original Fireline is a great braid for them. I know it's a fused line, not really braid, but I find fewer probs with the Fireline over true braided lines.

post-7429-0-88817400-1455040868n.jpg.099e54c4fc594c5ee1e0b71ed3c0f934.jpg

I use 832 on my spinners because I've had the fewest number of issues using it. It feels slippery through the guides for me and minimal wind knots. I like samurai as well for the same reasons. I should add that I build all my spin rods with as few and big guides as possible, as opposed to a NGC set up.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:06 PM, MakoMaster said:

Regular original power pro is what I prefer for everything. The super slick stuff is to soft, found my self cutting off frizzy spots to much. Waste of line and money 

which braid brand do you think has the best abrasion resistance ?