TDTruong

Recommendation

5 posts in this topic

Stop by a place that you can test ride some. Don’t just take the kayak out and spend a few minutes in it. Spend multiple minutes to get the feel of the kayak. Some paddle fast and track like garbage, so much time will be spent correcting the direction. Others track fine but are slow. 

Next, is how are you going to transport it? Car top, trailer, back of truck. Can you handle the weight of it, consider another good 5-10lbs of your add on items you’d include. Battery, if you use a FF, anchor line, basic stored items in the hull. These all add more weight you’d be moving around to transport. These don’t include the tackle, rods and lunch items. 

Ive owned the hobie PA and outback, I got older and they got heavier. Today I own Viking kayaks. Narrow, fast, track great and lighter weight. These do get your backside wet. 

Your fishing location will also also help you determine which kayak you’d use the most. When I lived in Nj the hobie worked out great. I’d cover a great amount of ground. Today I fish very local and close to where I launch from. Peddle and paddle have their own differences. 

Depends on where you plan on fishing, how you plan on fishing and your price range. Fill in those answers and I'm sure this group would be able to point you in the right direction.

Paddle.... generally significantly lighter and easier to carry to shore without cart and easier to cartop....less expensive....no mechanical parts to break

Pedal..... generally significantly heavier and you're going to need a cart and need to carefully consider how you will transport...more expensive.... moving parts can break down.....excels at fishing because not only are your hands free but you can generally hold position in current and wind , a major advantage....props or fins can foul with seaweed or milfoil.

I'm very happy with my 12' Wilderness Systems 12 footer ... Tarpon T120. 65 pounds... awesome stable quality beginner/intermediate kayak with good rails and rodholders. The Ocean Kayak Tridents are also great and in some ways better.  Reseach some of these....read reviews....read the back posts here ..in spring, see if you can test drive some.  Unless you are wealthy, decide the one or two models you like and keep an eye on Craigslist. Some guys upgrade frequently and that's your chance to get a great boat for short money.  PS....save yourself heartache. Please an on spending $150-300 for a good carbon fiber paddle. Don't even bother with the aluminum "recreational" paddles at Dick's. You will thank me.

Check out the Hobie Mirage drive boats.  Test drive if you are able but don't let the prices scare you.  Lots of used (many barely used) boats at really great prices this time of year.   When you get used to pedaling rather than paddling while you fish I think you'll see the benefits.  Yes, they are heavier but easy to adapt.  Cartop if you want, and can, but I'd recommend a truck bed or trailer.