boulderfieldz

Lining up eyes/belly weights & swivel hole

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey Guys -

Been building for about two seasons now, the one thing I can’t seem to figure out is how to consistently line up my holes. Currently I have been using a speed square to mark the middle of my plug on both sides and line it up and pencil down. Am I just sloppy at this and need to take my time? Or is there a simple jig I can build/other way to do this to make this more accurate. Thanks in advance!

using a small Drill press would solve a lot of the problem as you know. 

and the other thing you could benefit from is starting from a square blank. Much easier to mark strait lines. then drill small pilot holes deep enough to see after carving or turning the bait. 

Build yourself a V block and mount a fence on your drill press. Find center of V block  and then you can slide block along fence and always be  on cDCB69340-308B-4E9A-BD04-1F0FE2008097.jpeg.e162894b029dd291fa72ef56575e3b2d.jpegcenter of blank. Put a pin in previously drilled hole or holes to rotate to perpendicular so subsequent holes can line up. 

0826B3F9-178C-4F0D-A651-CC953A6CA1FF.jpeg

FC306398-009B-4F3A-AE0C-D85BF9BF9CC2.jpeg

Mark you center hole for say the belly hook or a chin weight. Take a piece of painter tape and wrap around plug body covering most of the center mark you just made leave a touch of the pencil mark visible. Now turn plug 90 degrees to where you want your eyes and make another mark, remove tape, measure from first center Mark to new eye mark, transfer same measurement to opposite eye. 

mark center on next plug , stick tape on lining up center marks, Mark spots with an awl or finish nail. 

3 hours ago, norcalkat said:

Eyeball it. :laugh:

Oh def guilty of it specially after few drinks . Next day I look down from the top of plug and like wtf did i do ? Oops .. but meh I don’t think the fish are noticing