jettyjockey18

Randy Julius...

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

for the E Mass guys...

Randy Julius passed away last Friday from suicide at 71... he's a well known outdoors writer, columnist for the Enterprise, fisherman, hunter, artist...

used to give turkey hunting seminars in the early 90s...

i believe he won the Mass duck stamp competition a few times... 

been battling Lyme disease along with some other tick borne illness... 

major bummer... 

Edited by jettyjockey18

My Dad being a Brockton guy, loved Randy's column. We'd always see him out in his aluminum in Plymouth Bay. Sometimes we followed him around the Bay just a little too close... Great writer, RIP 

Yeah this is a real shame.  What a shock!   I just learned about his suicide from a phone call from my aunt a few minutes ago...also just read his obit in the Enterprise.   

As most are aware depression and other mental illnesses have devastating consequences for both the victims and their loved ones.  

This hits hard because we've lost such a great ambassador to the outdoor life. 

I used to bump into him at some our local sweet water spots while fishing and say hi.   He was always very pleasant and would inquire how the fish were hitting. 

Most people know Randy locally as a really good outdoors man, writer, and musician.   He was a great friend to our family too.   

Condolences to his family and friends.   RIP Randy Julius.    

yeah I remember seeing him cruising past the Plymouth jetty in his red Lund back in the 90s... 

used to run into him at Beartown SF during turkey season around the same time... 

I've read his outdoors articles for decades it seems... 

had no idea he was having such a tough time... 

Randy was a well known sports figure in and around the Brockton Area . He often would attend our special events that we once were involved with the Division Fish and Wildlife program teaching fishing in many of the surrounding towns where he often could be seen fishing and just sharing his love with fishing with any one willing to listen . He did not live to far from the Taunton River, where he often would escape to take in a little fishing along its banks. I still have a stamp he designed back in those times where he was perennial winner as was mentioned above for best duck stamp designer. He wrote a lot of good articles and had a long list of followers that he appreciated in the many conversations we has over the years. It is hard to imagine him taking his own life , but if he was suffering from lymes one can better understand the impact this has when not caught early enough on the psychic it gave him. I saw what it has done to Greg , my good friend, Less Perry . among many others who have managed to survive, but never regain there life back / Prayers for the family Peace  

Randy was a good friend of mine. He and his band played at my wedding 40 years ago. We fished and hunted together every so often and I have a couple of his paintings hanging that he gifted to me. He will be sorely missed in the outdoor community.

RIP Buddy. You're now pain free. :(

Sorry for your loss.

I have had Lyme a few times and understand it has potential neurological complications particularly if it goes undiagnosed and untreated. I want to learn more about the connection between his Lyme and suicide.  I say this out of concern for others with this condition, not to be a smartazz. 

48 mins ago, ged said:

Sorry for your loss.

I have had Lyme a few times and understand it has potential neurological complications particularly if it goes undiagnosed and untreated. I want to learn more about the connection between his Lyme and suicide.  I say this out of concern for others with this condition, not to be a smartazz. 

Randy also suffered from severe anxiety for many years and I believe that was a contributing factor. Speaking from first hand knowledge, severe chronic pain on a daily basis has a huge negative impact on ones mental well being. I can't speak to adding the severe anxiety factor though. 

Yes, the band, forgot to mention that but I think many have seen them who live in the SE Mass area. Enjoyed them many times over the years and even got to sit in on some of their early practice sessions next to their dads shop.

8 mins ago, giggyfish said:

So sad sorry for all those he was special to. I’ve never read any of his articles but I’ll have to do a search.

May he RIP 

Same with me. All my life I followed local outdoor columnists all over the state, and this is the first I ever heard of this guy. I'll bet I would have enjoyed his columns.