Another One Bites The Dust

Rate this topic

Shipwreck

RIP French Creek Outdoors.

Big Buy Group Dealer.  Add this to these buy group dealers belly up in the region.  GO AMAZON!  Yay Prime!

S. Meltzers

Efingers

Harrys

L & H

Sportsmans Center

All used to be mainstays in their towns.  Not saying they were innocent in their own demise but this is getting scary folks.  Soon the only way to get unbiased reel info will be from Scoob.  Rods?  Shipping is too much, dont expect a lot from online dealers when it comes to offering lots of rods.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

I have to say though the few times I visited there I was less then impressed. The last straw was asking for .22WMR ammo and getting looked at like I had something growing out of my head. SFO is still going strong in E Norriton and hopefully stays that way. 

2 hours ago, fishless said:

Face it Shipwreck, you, we, are old.  Young adults are afraid to interact with humans so the new buying public makes their purchases in a way where they don't have to leave their comfort zone. 

I'm pretty sure everyone enjoys buying things at significantly cheaper prices lol. I do support the shops that consistently give good service, or at the very least are nice people, but if it's between getting a significant online discount or dealing with some ass that should probably take a class in business 101, I'm choosing online every time. Not saying this is the case with the subject tackle shop, but I'm not at all surprised by the shops that are struggling or closed down by me.

Edited by C.Robin

23 mins ago, C.Robin said:

I'm pretty sure everyone enjoys buying things at significantly cheaper prices lol. I do support the shops that consistently give good service, or at the very least are nice people, but if it's between getting a significant online discount or dealing with some ass that should probably take a class in business 101, I'm choosing online every time. Not saying this is the case with the subject tackle shop, but I'm not at all surprised by the shops that are struggling or closed down by me.

So you got a great sand eel bite going on, and you just lost your last teaser or eel imitation.  You can chose to run into the shop and buy one, deal with that guy you'll be in the presence for all of 2 mins, and get back out fishing or order on line and wait a week.  But you'll save .50 cents on a 3 dollar item.  It's hypothetical now but coming soon as the shops close down. 

Edited by fishless

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

If any of the local shop have a functional website, I would go 10 online orders vs 1 local visit.   I work during week and fish on the weekends.  I want my stuff somewhere in between.  Deliver to my door is a plus. I am not driving 30+ miles to visit a shop regularly, even if that's my favorite shop.   I have zero interest in stepping inside any department store or mall.  Hell, I like to grocery shop in the middle of the night, in peace, while the staff are stocking the shelf.

Looks like a good store. Sorry for their misfortune. Fishing And Hunting isn't easy anymore.   Their real estate may be worth big money in that area. Who knows what the real deal is.  You can't always  blame the consumer and you can't always blame big box stores for a stores demise. 

More websites and stores are going to close the harder bass fishing gets.

The internetz has been around 20 years at this point. I don’t think you can say it’s the sole reason at this point. 

plus, any smart business owner would’ve have seen the changes coming and adapted their business accordingly. Many businesses, small-medium-large fail to evolve with the times. Evolution doesn't only apply to nature. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

15 mins ago, fishless said:

So you got a great sand eel bite going on, and you just lost your last teaser or eel imitation.  You can chose to run into the shop and buy one, deal with that guy you'll be in the presence for all of 2 mins, and get back out fishing or order on line and wait a week.  But you'll save .50 cents on a 3 dollar item.  It's hypothetical now but coming soon as the shops close down. 

More like 1 or 2 days, and I fish for striper at night so none of that really applies, shop will be closed anyway.

11 mins ago, fishless said:

At least it's there if need be for the 1 or 2 days. Now add up 1 or 2 days per angler. 

A lot of days? Dunno what you are saying, lots of stuff ships in 1-3 days now, tackle shops close too early so I have no reason to go to them. Haven't even needed crabs in a couple years I just catch them now.

4 mins ago, nateD said:

A lot of days? Dunno what you are saying, lots of stuff ships in 1-3 days now, tackle shops close too early so I have no reason to go to them. Haven't even needed crabs in a couple years I just catch them now.

I'm saying when I need something in a pinch during a good bite I want it right then and not 3 days later.  And there are options for getting things from a shop if you cant be there before it closes. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1