boulderfieldz

Big Metal Lips

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys -

i like to build (and sometimes catch fish) on some large metal lips by normal standards (5oz, 8”-10”). For this use I usually use a Pikie 4 lip. 

I came across some 4”x4” AYC that I would love to turn into some truly large lures. However I am not aware of any commercially available lips available for purchase. After using the search function I found similar questions in the past that pointed to no available lips on the market and to make my own lips, however these posts were dated. Is there currently a place to purchase larger lips? 

Cheers! 

take a lip in the shape you like...hammer it flat....put it in a copier...blow it up to the size you want..print it....trace it onto the stainless sheet and cut it out with snips...I make lips 98 percent of the time as their are never available for what I make.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, boulderfieldz said:

Hey guys -

i like to build (and sometimes catch fish) on some large metal lips by normal standards (5oz, 8”-10”). For this use I usually use a Pikie 4 lip. 

I came across some 4”x4” AYC that I would love to turn into some truly large lures. However I am not aware of any commercially available lips available for purchase. After using the search function I found similar questions in the past that pointed to no available lips on the market and to make my own lips, however these posts were dated. Is there currently a place to purchase larger lips? 

Cheers! 

as said by capesams,,making your own will simply add to the custom idea of the plug.

I make all my own lips and they perform well.

also,,,you would be surprised at how much lip is actually needed.

in my book most plugs are over "lipped"which makes them too busy even at moderate cranking speeds.

so,I go custom and it def works.

HH.

8 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

as said by capesams,,making your own will simply add to the custom idea of the plug.

I make all my own lips and they perform well.

also,,,you would be surprised at how much lip is actually needed.

in my book most plugs are over "lipped"which makes them too busy even at moderate cranking speeds.

so,I go custom and it def works.

HH.

Do you have a good pair of snips you'd recommend/how to punch out the hole? Thanks in advance HH!

Edited by Meicoff

12 hours ago, Meicoff said:

Do you have a good pair of snips you'd recommend/how to punch out the hole? Thanks in advance HH!

I have a solid pair of Stanley snips and to do holes I just drill them and that's after they are epoxied in place so it is waay easier to get the correct position.

for full service surface wagglers they get drilled low and to do both they get drilled in the middle and for submerged/deep swimmers they get drilled higher.

5dfc0d56b60bc_HHPlugWerxLDP588.JPG.25cb7fc20eda52f113dec2f52f4b9a2f.JPG

this piece is drilled low to make it swim on top much more/better,,,,,

5dfc0dcf1eadd_HHPlugWerxLDP586.JPG.d9a2abacbf116c0f5b76d613af0a8608.JPG

my custom lip bender/shaper,,,,,

5dfc0df98383e_HHPlugWerxLDP592.JPG.bfc0022575f7ee8ec19894dae80a22c3.JPG

bender/shaper in action[tempered aluminum lip .063 gauge]

5dfc0e1c26aac_HHPlugWerxLDP593.JPG.a35b3e4de108f2c5dc85ae2896acf85a.JPG

first bend,,,

5dfc0e39a3f4d_HHPlugWerxLDP594.JPG.56511ef5791c6731e179d6ee53455b1c.JPG

plug lip is made for,,,

5dfc0e49f05fd_HHPlugWerxLDP597.JPG.a38a61f4822c0ece6c0c73f948cd087e.JPG

2 of my large wedgehead designs with almost all hardware installed,,,,,,,

5dfc0e57a801c_HHPlugWerxLDP598.JPG.008edd056867a3fab7d2bfae60c305a2.JPG

front view,lips are epoxied into the nose slots,filed smooth and next the screw eyes will be epoxied then driven in.

HH

12 hours ago, Meicoff said:

I use whatever I can get easily,sometimes it's thin stainless and other times it is aluminum strips cut on a shear machine at work.

the material is free so,I use it a lot.

one in a while I can get some thin,workable stainless but,not much.

HH