coastalfreak

Finally found my Whiting/Kingfish setup.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So at the Academy today, I finally decided on my Kingfish/Whiting setup. Basically my small fish surf/wade setup. 

Rod: All Star 7' Lite Power, Fast Action Panfish Rod: 3/16 to 3/8 oz. $49.99

Reel: Quantum Optix 20

Line: Sufix ProMix 6 Ib Mono 

Rods got a really nice action. Only issue is a small hairline crack/scratch in the first guide. They are stainless. Doesn't appear to be too sharp or so. Hope it doesn't affect the performance because I love the action and the sensitivity of the rod. 

cool setup.  I target whiting all summer .....bc I can walk to the end of the street and no effort.  pomps mix in.  I like a ten ft rod bc I bring a sand spike and a sixer.  and typically toss an ounce or two....if I was rich id prob get the black hole 10ft Suzuki lite and pair it w a spin fisher vi 2500 live liner.  and bring a whole case of beer for my homies!  I'm with you w the mono. 

10 mins ago, tristate said:

What is your favorite hook for kingfish?

Pretty much my go-to hook for light surf fishing for Whiting and other things is a Mustad 1/0 circle hook. I just find them a good match. I did find some VMC Size 4 Circle Hooks that I like so far. They may be good for smaller whiting and such. 

Circle hooks are important to me. I hate gut hooking fish so I always stick with circles when bait fishing in saltwater unless the fish in question has a very hard mouth like pinfish or something.