SnoozeFishing

Why does this keep happening?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I've been using my backup reel spinfisher vi 4500 and I would say 1 out of 10 casts end up like the picture. I've tried closing the bail before it hits the water, and waiting Skittle longer still happens. I also use the auto trip don't close manually usually. 

20191216_174248.jpg

Closing the bail by hand is better, I like to glance at the spool and tug the line taught as I start reeling. Your low on line too.

6 mins ago, cheech said:

Closing the bail by hand is better, I like to glance at the spool and tug the line taught as I start reeling. Your low on line too.

There's about 100 yards of line in the water when the pic was taken, but it is still alittle low was happening when it was full, reason it is low is because I was getting wind knots right after this happened. I do agree flipping the bail manual is better but using the reel as designed shouldn't cause these problems. 

If there is any slack or belly in the line as it hits the water, (especially on windy days) that may result. I lift the rod slightly to remove slack, and as mentioned, I pinch the line above the reel at the beginning of the retrieve if it’s not taut. What lb. test is that metered line?

7 hours ago, cheech said:

If there is any slack or belly in the line as it hits the water, (especially on windy days) that may result. I lift the rod slightly to remove slack, and as mentioned, I pinch the line above the reel at the beginning of the retrieve if it’s not taut. What lb. test is that metered line?

20lb j braid x8. Im going out now, see if I can narrow down the conditions. 

My buddy was having problems with a spinner spooled with mono for years. Someone finally pointed out to him that he was using a casting rod, LOL

13 hours ago, jimmy z said:

slack line:howdy:

It happens more if I trip the bail before the lure hits the water so there shouldnt be much slack in the line. Also happens when I trip the bail myself, so weird. 

flip the bale over, before the lure hits the water . It will take the slack out of the line  Also pull back on the rod a little at the end of the cast.