Striper46

Flex Seal Spray

19 posts in this topic

Looking to put some sort of sealant inside my hull around screws, most spots are hard to reach so goop is hard to apply correctly. Any recommendations? TIA!

3 hours ago, Striper46 said:

Looking to put some sort of sealant inside my hull around screws, most spots are hard to reach so goop is hard to apply correctly. Any recommendations? TIA!

Is there a nut on it? EPDM washers work above the water line. Perfect for splash and rain. 

64DF5AE3-81A7-4A30-98F9-797FC888D2C1.png

Edited by The Riddler

15 hours ago, BillZ said:

Can you elaborate? ...I'd seal one type of installation differently then the next...

I have some pad eyes with over sized washers, anchor trolling, some tracks mounts. Although I used stainless steal hardware I can see rusting already starting after 1 season. I also get a good amount of water in my hull and trying to eliminate any potential leaking areas.

16 hours ago, ne_dan said:

Are they above or below the waterline?

above but the anchor trolley is basically right above the water line.....if you get wind and waves on that side its basically below.

13 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Is there a nut on it? EPDM washers work above the water line. Perfect for splash and rain. 

64DF5AE3-81A7-4A30-98F9-797FC888D2C1.png

some have nuts some are just screws some have over sized washers

2 hours ago, Striper46 said:

I have some pad eyes with over sized washers, anchor trolling, some tracks mounts. Although I used stainless steal hardware I can see rusting already starting after 1 season. I also get a good amount of water in my hull and trying to eliminate any potential leaking areas.

Not all stainless is rust proof, some have a high iron & low chromium content.

if you want to do a process of elimination thing Imo,the right way to approach a potential leaky accessory (if that’s what it is) is remove & reinstall sealing the holes at reassembly not try to coat over the ends of the exposed screws, those rubber backed washers that Riddler posted are great, they work well.

I don’t even use sealant on my backing plate or nut & washer installs…I always drill my holes slightly smaller than the screw size, screw needs to be threaded thru the undersized hole in the plastic before I even install the backing plate, this way there's no room for water to enter, no need for sealant, never had a leak this way, i think its counter productive to make an over-sized hole then go back & have to seal it with something else, if its tight to the screw to begin with you can eliminate that..

As for the good amount of water, there’s really not a whole lot of room for accessories to put any significant amount of water in the hull unless you have massive, sloppy un-sealed screw holes drilled, id probably target elsewhere like hatch’s, cracks, etc.

My hull is real water tight, when I close my front hatch its pressurized, I get a slight gush of air escaping from a hinged area on another hatch, that’s it..

10 mins ago, BillZ said:

Not all stainless is rust proof, some have a high iron & low chromium content.

if you want to do a process of elimination thing Imo,the right way to approach a potential leaky accessory (if that’s what it is) is remove & reinstall sealing the holes at reassembly not try to coat over the ends of the exposed screws, those rubber backed washers that Riddler posted are great, they work well.

I don’t even use sealant on my backing plate or nut & washer installs…I always drill my holes slightly smaller than the screw size, screw needs to be threaded thru the undersized hole in the plastic before I even install the backing plate, this way there's no room for water to enter, no need for sealant, never had a leak this way, i think its counter productive to make an over-sized hole then go back & have to seal it with something else, if its tight to the screw to begin with you can eliminate that..

As for the good amount of water, there’s really not a whole lot of room for accessories to put any significant amount of water in the hull unless you have massive, sloppy un-sealed screw holes drilled, id probably target elsewhere like hatch’s, cracks, etc.

My hull is real water tight, when I close my front hatch its pressurized, I get a slight gush of air escaping from a hinged area on another hatch, that’s it..

that's how I install everything as well, one of my well nuts came loss for my anchor trolley and I had an alarming amount of water in my hull on my last trip. I also think my vent plug was mis threaded which for some reason hobie decided needed to be below the water line??? wtf Needless to say now I'm concerned about everything screwed into the kayak. I think everything I installed except the trolley is fine but I would like to cover the inside hardware with a sealant to keep from rusting. 

I already removed the trolley line, the pulleys are fine but the line guider in the middle of the boat with the well nuts I wanna seal those holes for good

3 mins ago, Striper46 said:

one of my well nuts came loss for my anchor trolley and I had an alarming amount of water in my hull on my last trip.

I think everything I installed except the trolley is fine but I would like to cover the inside hardware with a sealant to keep from rusting. 

That explains the water.... well nuts :shock:

as for rust prevention, coating the hardware wont stop the rust... rust never sleeps,

I'd upgrade the hardware to better stainless

13 mins ago, BillZ said:

as for rust prevention, coating the hardware wont stop the rust... rust never sleeps,

no that actually only explains the extra water, I always have water even before I installed the trolley

Edited by Striper46

16 mins ago, BillZ said:

suggestions on sealing these well nut holes? they are decent size wholes 1/4" maybe bigger. 

Edited by Striper46

Hows your plastic welding skills?

You can practice on a 5 gallon bucket to hone your skills, plenty of vids out there if you havent done it before

You can always put a screw & rubber backed washer thru the hole with rubber backed washer & nut inside the hull...

12 mins ago, Striper46 said:

no that actually only explains the extra water, I always have water even before I installed the trolley

Isn't that typical of Hobies though? 

2 mins ago, BillZ said:

Hows your plastic welding skills?

You can practice on a 5 gallon bucket to hone your skills, plenty of vids out there if you havent done it before

You can always put a screw & rubber backed washer thru the hole with rubber backed washer & nut inside the hull...

non existing lol the second options is what I was thinking.