Jim DE

ODP&V Random Images 2020

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, mike NJ said:

So, whats the big black building? Looks like it would get hot in there.

That’s called a “rick house”.  

Basically it is a warehouse for aging bourbon prior to bottling.  Barrels of bourbon are put into wood racks on each floor of the place and they sit there for four to nine years or more (depending on the product... cheap Jim Beam white label - 4 years... more pricey Knob Creek - 9 years).  Seasonal temperature changes result in the bourbon interacting with the charred wood barrel to impart various flavor characteristics to the bourbon.

Beam has more than 100 of these warehouses scattered around Kentucky.  This is one of about 10 at their main distillery location south of Louisville.

I just did a quick spin through the site in the car... wanted to stop at the store on-site.  Someday I’ll bring the camera (instead of a cell phone) and take a tour.

23 mins ago, Slacker said:

That’s called a “rick house”.  

Basically it is a warehouse for aging bourbon prior to bottling.  Barrels of bourbon are put into wood racks on each floor of the place and they sit there for four to nine years or more (depending on the product... cheap Jim Beam white label - 4 years... more pricey Knob Creek - 9 years).  Seasonal temperature changes result in the bourbon interacting with the charred wood barrel to impart various flavor characteristics to the bourbon.

Beam has more than 100 of these warehouses scattered around Kentucky.  This is one of about 10 at their main distillery location south of Louisville.

I just did a quick spin through the site in the car... wanted to stop at the store on-site.  Someday I’ll bring the camera (instead of a cell phone) and take a tour.

Thats pretty wild. Looks like it holds a lot of bourbon.  I guess its black to draw in heat? I know nothing about boubon, or distilleries in general, except that I  like to drink.