BrianBM

Small LC spinning reel

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I'll be staggering around like a drunken sailor this spring after a left knee replacement. It'll probably be fall before I feel truly comfortable on a beach, and wading just won't be practical.  Therefore, a small LC spinner sounds like a good idea - gotta squeeze out the maximum yards if you can't get your feet wet (dammit.) 

I'm partial to Daiwa and Penn. Assume 300 yards of 12-15 braid. Recommendations? 

Shimano Ultegra 5500 XSD could be suitable. 

There's a Ci4 version of the reel which is lighter, Ultegra 5500 Ci4 XSC (I think is the model name). 

People get confused about these model names, and that is because they are confusing. You may come across the same reel called XTD, not XSD. The difference is that the "T" reel is black, unlike the "S" which is silver. The T reel is aimed at carp anglers who are keen on black reels. The S reel is meant for surf fishermen (perhaps surf fishermen are meant to like silver reels). 

The Ci4 reels are also available in black or silver. 

1 min ago, Steg said:

There's a Ci4 version of the reel which is lighter, Ultegra 5500 Ci4 XSC (I think is the model name). 

People get confused about these model names, and that is because they are confusing. You may come across the same reel called XTD, not XSD. The difference is that the "T" reel is black, unlike the "S" which is silver. The T reel is aimed at carp anglers who are keen on black reels. The S reel is meant for surf fishermen (perhaps surf fishermen are meant to like silver reels). 

ultegra xtc = surf reel  :shrug: , xtd is older than xtc. Somewhere along the time line is xsd, xsc.... :huh:  Add on the ci4 combinations.... scooby could make a 1 hour video just to clarify the naming on these things. lol

18 mins ago, Steg said:

I second the Ultegra CI4’s . I also have a Shimano Rareneum which is a really nice lightweight reel in CI4.  I have the Rareneum 4000 which is really nice.

Edited by Birdsnester

Gentlemen, thank you all.

Reel models change faster than I can keep up. I gotta go back and look at Scooby's review of the Daiwa LT (?), which might be in the ball park too.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Assume 300 yards of 12-15 braid.

For this size of reel, I use the following three, they all share the same ”long stroke” spool and hold ~265 of 20# 832, so 300 of 15# should be a go.

Shimano Stella FJ C5000

Shimano Vanquish FB C5000

Shimano Stradic FL C5000

The Shimanos mentioned above are true “long cast surf reels” that would hold a ton of 15#, and overall are larger heavier reels...

Edited by Inshore

28 mins ago, Steg said:

Sorry. No. 

The black XTD is the upgraded version to the Silver XSD. The black is only cosmetic. The far more important upgrade for Brian would be the XTD has Xprotect water proofing. It works.

10 mins ago, Inshore said:

For this size of reel, I use the following three, they all share the same ”long stroke” spool and hold ~265 of 20# 832, so 300 of 15# should be a go.

Shimano Stella FJ C5000

Shimano Vanquish FB C5000

Shimano Stradic FL C5000

The Shimanos mentioned above are true “long cast surf reels” that would hold a ton of 15#, and overall are larger heavier reels...

I was wondering about that ... for the mix of mandatory - release sized bass, blues, fluke and weakfish that I anticipate with 5/8 through 1 1/2 oz jigs, those other reels did sound a bit large.

5 mins ago, BrianBM said:

for the mix of mandatory - release sized bass, blues, fluke and weakfish that I anticipate with 5/8 through 1 1/2 oz jigs, those other reels did sound a bit large.

Exactly! This is why I’ve downsized considerably for my land based fishing, those reels I mentioned above with heavy action salmon rods and one wicked medium action Japanese “rock-shore” rod are all I’m using now... More than enough to handle sub 36” fish these days!

18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I was wondering about that ... for the mix of mandatory - release sized bass, blues, fluke and weakfish that I anticipate with 5/8 through 1 1/2 oz jigs, those other reels did sound a bit large.

Edited by Birdsnester

18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I'm mildly surprised to see no mention of the Daiwa LT or Penn Conflict II.  Must do a little homework.

I don’t believe Daiwa offers any small “long cast” LT reels. 

And the Penn Conflict II, well, no comment here....

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

I second the Ultegra CI4’s . I also have a Shimano Rareneum which is a really nice lightweight reel in CI4.  I have the Rareneum 4000 which is really nice.

You think they are light, pick up a Vanquish FB. Size for size, they are lighter than any of the Ci4 reels....

IMO, Shimano is missing the mark by not importing these to the states....

Edited by Inshore