Mr. Sophistication

Rod racks for vechicles

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I have some questions about rod racks for vechicles. I'm currently driving a 4th gen Chevy Tahoe. Typically when I go on vacation I like to bring a bunch of rods, my bike, coolers, etc. 

1. Do you prefer a front, roof, interior, or rear mounted rod rack?

2. Is it possible to add an aftermarket receiver to the front of a vehicle? I've seen trucks that come with them stock but I believe my Tahoe only has a rear receiver.

3. Do you use your truck on the highway with one of those front or rear mounted racks? Do the rods in front inhibit your ability to see at all? Any issues with rods bouncing out?

4. How do you prevent theft? I used to use the ski rack method but I was always paranoid that someone was going to steal one of the reels.

5. Finally, do you prefer a rack that comes with a carrier for a cooler or do you prefer the low profile one that carries rods only?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Edited by Mr. Sophistication

I currently use the ski rack method and I still worry about theft, if I go in a store or something and, the ski rack locks lol. If you have enough time you can maneuver the rod out of it, but the lock is a deterrent.  I do think that the ski rack is the most secure option for the outside of the car, unless you are running a locking cable through your rod and reel. If you want to get more secure put the rods in your car. 

I used to have a rack but only used it once I got to the beach and set the rods up. I was worried about road spray on the highway etc.

Now I have a Grand Caravan c/v I keep rods interior  hanging from the ceiling. Longest 1 pc. I have is a 7'6 I had to get creative rigging with the headliner and all

A SpaceTube will hold 8 or so rods/reels up to 12' long out of sight, dry, and as protected as an outside rod can be. I have had one since 04 or so.  Very heavy duty and likely not desired by most

Out of sight, out of mind, you have enough space in the cab to fit a 11ft rod 1 piece rod, there is no reason to leave anything outside unless you see the convenience on the beach. Again, theft on the beach is a real thing.

You really don’t want to transport rods and reels long distances on the front of your truck. So even with a front rod and cooler rack I transport my rods locked on the roof. I add reels when I get to the beach. Anywhere they sell hitches will be able to get a front receiver for almost all trucks. When I had a fill sized pick-up I kept the cooler in the bed. With smaller Pick-ups and SUVs I kept the cooler on the front. Keeping the rack on the front makes access to the back of the truck much easier. When I’m not with my truck I can lock the rods in the rack with a rod that runs through the rod tubes and locks with a chain and padlock. This is all my preference you may come to different answers to your questions but I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, tristate said:

You really don’t want to transport rods and reels long distances on the front of your truck. So even with a front rod and cooler rack I transport my rods locked on the roof. I add reels when I get to the beach. Anywhere they sell hitches will be able to get a front receiver for almost all trucks. When I had a fill sized pick-up I kept the cooler in the bed. With smaller Pick-ups and SUVs I kept the cooler on the front. Keeping the rack on the front makes access to the back of the truck much easier. When I’m not with my truck I can lock the rods in the rack with a rod that runs through the rod tubes and locks with a chain and padlock. This is all my preference you may come to different answers to your questions but I hope this helps.

I thought so but figured I would ask. I still might get one of those low profile racks for the front to use on the beach and around town.

That's good to know about the front receiver. Is the cooler okay to keep up front on the highway?

Do you have a picture of your locking setup?

Thanks.

Used to use ski racks on crossbars. Worked very well, and locked, but I wanted something easier to take off when not fishing. Now I use magnet ones that work surprisingly well, but only good for several rods. Just remember that rooftop racks significantly decrease gas mileage, which is why I switched to magnet ones. Only real secure place for your rods/reels when you're not watching is in your car.

40 mins ago, StripBandit09 said:

Let’s see some pics?

As requested - Interior racks from my 5th gen 4-Runner Clips for overhead rack are available from BPS, they are Black's Sur-Lock rod hangers- see last pictures.  Clips on lower rack are marine antenna clips - larger sizes are harder to find.  Only roof rack that locks reels is the Rack-a-Rod system, but thieves have been known to remove spools and handles on upper end models and sell them on e-Bay.

Hope this helps.

0403191926.jpg

0403191927.jpg

0403191927a.jpg

0403191928.jpg

0818161310a.jpg

blacks sure lock rod hanger.jpg

canvas.png

Edited by FlatWing

highly recommend front rack. esp the fold down cooler style w 6 rod holders. anglers fish n mate. or the like.  folds up.  real nice for rigging rods in driveway or wherever.  great to set up beers and bait station out of truck.  get yerself a front porch!

also recommend rod up mount for inside sold at the surfcaster......and a ski rack for long rods......all carry six rods so you pair down to six rods and and if a friend rides along there is convenient space usually in the front rack.....also nice to rinse rods in front rack....

For my F150 I have a cover on the 6.5’ bed and can fit up to 8’ rods diagonally.  Secure and dry.  However my larger 9’ and 10’ 1-piece rods are a problem.  Right now I just hang them out the back and only bring what I plan to fish with.

I’m thinking of adding ski racks for when I transport the longer rods.  What brand to people recommend?