coastalfreak

Has anyone run into Animal Rights Activist while Fishing

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I saw a video where a fisherman was approached by someone when he said he was going to keep a fish he caught. Woman said it “wasn’t nice” and tried to get him to throw it back. 

Has anybody had an experience like this or something similar? If so, what did you do?

I've dealt with that a few times.  Local public lake, Jones beach, and cape may.

Don't think I was ever video'd....

Just another dumb schnit throwing their values on you.

One told me to throw it back...  so I threw it in the back of my cooler.

Not actually fishing but have seen them in Montauk during the shark tournaments.  It's like an an idiot convention.  PETA's types and shark tournament types.

I was verbally beaten for trespassing in a closed bird sanctuary. She was yelling at me and then saw the rod and went absolutely nuts. 

I blended in and smiled like I understood no English. Kept walking. This was in the dark........ What was she doing out?

Problem is that I am an incredibly nice guy (most of the time). I don't have the guts to tell someone to leave me alone if they are doing that stuff to me. Best I can do is educate them I guess. 

It has happened to me numerous times. My response depends on the situation.

If I am in an area frequented by non fishermen, and the person saw me catch the fish, I will explain to them that the fish will be eaten and that I have dispatched it in the most humane way I know. I will also tell them that fish caught personally and according to regulation are much more sustainable and environmentally friendly than most store bought proteins. If this results in any further discussion I simply leave with my fish. I am well versed in resource management and environmental science, enough to make rational and compelling arguments, but this is not always what  this type of person is looking for.

Alternately, in my younger, more contrary days, there was an instance where I was fishing on a nearly deserted beach and had caught several bluefish. They were bled and on ice in the cooler. The person in question walked nearly 100 yards out of their way and acted like they were interested in the fishing, however when I said I had caught a couple, proceeded to harass me for about five minutes. They told me I couldn't be sure they were actually dead and made implications about my moral character in not immediately releasing the fish. They had no interest in any rational discussion so I relented in thier insistance that the fish may still be alive by leaving no doubt. I promptly fileted the fish, and the person left in disgust, the best and quickest outcome I could have hoped for. Since then, unless, I know the person is a fisherman, my initial response is "Not a Bite to be Had".

1 min ago, wok167 said:

It has happened to me numerous times. My response depends on the situation.

If I am in an area frequented by non fishermen, and the person saw me catch the fish, I will explain to them that the fish will be eaten and that I have dispatched it in the most humane way I know. I will also tell them that fish caught personally and according to regulation are much more sustainable and environmentally friendly than most store bought proteins. If this results in any further discussion I simply leave with my fish. I am well versed in resource management and environmental science, enough to make rational and compelling arguments, but this is not always what  this type of person is looking for.

Alternately, in my younger, more contrary days, there was an instance where I was fishing on a nearly deserted beach and had caught several bluefish. They were bled and on ice in the cooler. The person in question walked nearly 100 yards out of their way and acted like they were interested in the fishing, however when I said I had caught a couple, proceeded to harass me for about five minutes. They told me I couldn't be sure they were actually dead and made implications about my moral character in not immediately releasing the fish. They had no interest in any rational discussion so I relented in thier insistance that the fish may still be alive by leaving no doubt. I promptly fileted the fish, and the person left in disgust, the best and quickest outcome I could have hoped for. Since then, unless, I know the person is a fisherman, my initial response is "Not a Bite to be Had".

How do you prefer to dispatch your fish? I've actually never kept fish but I want to start cooking some. 

Yes I have and it turned out positively, it is a matter of communication, all of them have eaten fish and can only acknowledge and abide with nature's  ruling system of predation. 

And if more so you release they have nothing to say.

Just now, coastalfreak said:

How do you prefer to dispatch your fish? I've actually never kept fish but I want to start cooking some. 

Couple horizontal slits across the gills with a sharp knife then head first into icewater. If no icewater available, let them bleed out a few minutes and immediately dress/filet. If I do not have ice immediately available, I rarely keep fish. 

It wasn't an animal rights person.   But, back when I used to smoke, I had someone just randomly walk up to me and scream "Don't  you know that today is quit smoking day ??"  and run off.

I know it's not what you were asking for, but same in the way that it was a type of situation where one person is insistent on pushing their own values on someone else.  

I did. She was with her husband and child, her husband had on a Cal Poly Wrestling shirt.  My son and I were digging up clams for bait in the surf. The three of them came up to us, and the lady asked me what we were doing with the clams. So I told her, and she started going into her pitch about putting living things back alive and how fishing was bad. She had the vegan look.  

I told them thank you and asked them to leave us be, that we were fine doing what we were doing and the government gave me a right to do it when I bought my license. 

Every other conversation I have had with people on the beach is about what was biting or something of that nature.